WEEKEND FISHING TRAINS 60s

I went on the fisherman's trains with Dad. There was one that went to the Keadby Drains at Althorpe. Another went to Brigg and the river Anholme .

There was upto three going to Woodhall Junc or Boston. The Althorpe, and Brigg trains were later withdrawn and you had to change trains in Doncaster and Lincoln respectavely. There was often a  man on the train  just  selling was Jewel razor blades.  The early morning buses from Firth Park to the Wicker were jammed with anglers and the baskets were piled high on the rear platform so a volunteer would stand at the edge near the pole to stop them flying off when the bus lurched around corners. The trip home was very soothing listening to the clickity clack from the rails and following the telephone wires up and down between the posts. Great days out.

Edited by stephen peace
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 23/04/2011 at 20:13, hobbinfootju said:

Yes the water used to ripple when they went through. Used to fish the Sincel Drain there as well.

I presume the mention of East Coast main line trains would be referring to diverted expresses that would have normally used the Retford, Newark, and Peterborough line but instead were diverted via Boston

1 hour ago, stephen peace said:

I presume the mention of East Coast main line trains would be referring to diverted expresses that would have normally used the Retford, Newark, and Peterborough line but instead were diverted via Boston

Are you related to a Barry Peace.. Shiregreen Lad.

Reading all these posts again was great.

I used to go fishing with my Dad and a few of his mates in Freddy Hendersons Caravetta

Fred was a keen fisherman. he lived up Park Hill way.

I was thinking of re-prising this hobby now i'm in my 60s but could never be like it was then, the rods are a bit lighter though now.

On 23/04/2011 at 15:01, dungraftin said:

Remember how the ground use to shake at Five Mile House when the non stop East Coast Express trains use to go past.

Didn't the Flying Scotsman, go through that part of Lincs  after Retford ? And at full speed, that  metalic beast would make an ocean ripple.

Edited by St Petre

OMG !  The lengths some people went to in order to drown hundreds and thousands of maggots. 

(My Dad, of blessed memory,  was one such but couldn't bothered with public transport, He borrowed or owned various cars which he filled with like minded blokes, fishing baskets on the roof rack or in the boot, and deserted the family every Sunday.) I recall being dragged along to Bardney, opposite the sugar factory and spending the most boring day of my life watching the odd train go past and the steam rising from the chimneys.  Somehow it didn't catch on in my genes, Thank God!

But at least them that went on the trains or in the coaches didn't risk their lives hurtling back along the A57 tanked up with Batemans Bitter. 

Just think, if coarse fish had been edible it'd have put most of Sheffield's chippies out of business!

Happy Christmas!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

. . . I recall being dragged along to Bardney, opposite the sugar factory and spending the most boring day of my life watching the odd train go past and the steam rising from the chimneys.  Somehow it didn't catch on in my genes, Thank God!

Happy Christmas!!

Happy Christmas returned!

I can sympathise, as my older brother and I had a much loved great-uncle who took us for a week's holiday every year (otherwise we wouldn't have had a holiday). That's the good news. The bad news was that the aforesaid great-uncle and big brother spent the week fishing. I was duly equipped with a rod, line etc. - but dangling maggots in the water and pulling out the odd tiddler never appealed to me.

On the other hand the "steam rising from the chimneys" aspect DID appeal to me, as I was a keen train-spotter! On one memorable occasion in 1961 I was pretending to fish for tiddlers in the Great Ouse at Ely when along came this wonderful loco, hauling a Norwich-bound train over a bridge 100 yards from when I was pseudo-fishing. Great!

70000.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hillsbro said:

Happy Christmas returned!

I can sympathise, as my older brother and I had a much loved great-uncle who took us for a week's holiday every year (otherwise we wouldn't have had a holiday). That's the good news. The bad news was that the aforesaid great-uncle and big brother spent the week fishing. I was duly equipped with a rod, line etc. - but dangling maggots in the water and pulling out the odd tiddler never appealed to me.

On the other hand the "steam rising from the chimneys" aspect DID appeal to me, as I was a keen train-spotter! On one memorable occasion in 1961 I was pretending to fish for tiddlers in the Great Ouse at Ely when along came this wonderful loco, hauling a Norwich-bound train over a bridge 100 yards from when I was pseudo-fishing. Great!

70000.jpg

The Brilliant Brit !!  Sadly at Bardney I saw nothing but BR Standards. You probably spent as many hours as I did at the Twentywell Cutting as a lad on a bike..  Have you seen what they're doing there now to undo the evil works of Dr Beeching?  Another case of  "We knew best".  Closing the Chesterfield/Manchester link and making everything go in and then out of the city was plain daft.  But demolishing the island platform was dafter. And Network Rail are spending millions putting in a passing loop at Bamford so that trains will get held up at Picadilly for even longer?   (You will recall I strongly favour 3rd rail electrification for this line and many others serving this region). (We could have driverless trains and call it "levelling up").