Body parts taken without consent

I've no objection to my body being used for 'spares' when I die and I do carry a donor card, but compulsory organ donation - or even an opt-out system would probably be a total non-starter.

I doubt any politician (or at least any politician who had any aspirations towards being re-elected) would even suggest it.

Have you forgotten the fuss a few years ago when a newspaper(?) leaked the story that various hospitals had retained the organs of deceased persons?

i remember that story. thought about it when i started the thread. and you're right about the politicians. you would have had to be fed up of public office to suggest it. it's not as grotesque as it sounds at first, though, i don't think.

i do know that my mom would kill herself just so she can follow me to hell and kick my ass if donated my organs. i shan't say a word of it to her.

would be pretty tricky to know you've woken up if your eyes were gone. :hihi:

you in the habit of losing your heartbeat when you go into a 'deep and satisfying' sleep? mind you, i can sleep through a storm.

Me too, or as me Mum says, I could sleep on a washing line!

When sailors bodies were sewn into weighted sailcloth and buried at sea, the last stitch went through the sailor's nose.

That, apparently, was to make sure he really was dead. ;)

I've heard of people requiring that a vein or artery be opened after they are declared dead. I suppose that's one way of making sure.

60 years ago, perhaps Doctors got it wrong more often. Apparently I 'died' (electrocuted myself) when I was about 3 or 4. The doctor was writing out the death certificate when I woke up.

Hopefully nowadays, when people are declared dead, they really are.

60 years ago, perhaps Doctors got it wrong more often. Apparently I 'died' (electrocuted myself) when I was about 3 or 4. The doctor was writing out the death certificate when I woke up.

Hopefully nowadays, when people are declared dead, they really are.

On that note I insist they can have all my bits. Waking 6ft under or in an oven...eek!

not sure it's the same. but i do get your mean. would you object to a change in law so we have an opt out system rather than the one we have?

I don’t have a problem with a opt out scheme.

Not quite the same thing!

Someone's wedding ring for example doesn't have the potential to save someone else's life but an organ does.

So a dead body is an object to be used at will, what if body parts where sold on ……..would that be OK

Theft from who? It can't be from the dead person .(as they're dead)

There is no answer to that is there :roll:

Archived