Helen Shapiro, beauty of the 60s

dunsel

Yes i thought she was one of the best i think she would be about 66-67 and still singing country, having said that though Helen Shapiro has only a few years ago stopped touring and singing big band stuff, "they dont last that long these days".

Helen was good but Dusty was better just had that certain something. I too love Tapestry by Carole King. For sheer raunchiness has to be Tina Turner. Love " You're Simply The Best " Brings back so many memories!!!. Going now before I get too sentimental!!

Dusty's real name was Mary O'Hara and she played with her brother and a friend in the Springfields trio. They were very good, I remember 'Island of Dreams' in 1962/63 and 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles'. Then she left them to go solo, went blonde and had a big hit with 'I Only Want to be with You' amongst others.

Can't say I was ever very keen on Dusty, Petula Clark or Marianne Faithful to be honest.

I got my kicks mostly listening to Helen, Julie Rogers and Kathy Kirby whilst looking at magazine pictures of them. Mind you, in Helen's case it was more the voice than the looks I went for.

Halcyon days ...... sigh!!!!!!:)

I remember seeing Helen Shapiro at the Sheffield Lyceum just before it closed - around 1968? She was in a play entitled 'It's never too late'. Also in the cast were David Kossof and McDonald Hobley (older members will remember them). Also in the cast was Jean Fergusson who plays Marina in 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Jean was in rep at Chesterfield a couple of years later and I saw all the productions she appeared in.

Archived