Why do we behave differently towards the rich?

It depends how you've got your money as to whether or not people will respect you, how did you make yours and maybe we could all comment?

I'm not sure having a lot of money is a sign of success either!

I have made my money through my own businesses that I started from scratch. But how would people know this from the car I drive?

I came on here asking the question "why do we behave differently towards the rich?" I used cars as an example. Yes I have a flash car and for some strange reason my mentioning it seems to get right up your nose!:huh:

Take a chill pill.;):)

No it doesn't get up my nose, I just want to know why you had to say that you fetched something prestigious out of the garage? Why not say something like, "I was driving the car the other day and this happened .....?" You just couldn't wait to mention that you have a pretigious car could you?

The same can be said for my boss at work, "I know it's been difficult for you all to get into work this week because of the snow. I had to dig my jag out of my 300 yard drive at my house in the Peak District this week too". "When I was at Eaton .... ". Why not just say something like, "I got snowed in too," or "Or when I was at school?"

It's really funny and rather vulgar when people have to constantly demonstrate their wealth or social mobility over other people. There's only one thing more vulgar than that and that is when vulgar people try to justify their vulgarness. Do people seriously believe people will like them more if they have material wealth? The fact that they have wealth is not the problem, the problem is that they have to constantly rub it into the nose of those that don't. Harry Enfield knew that, refer back to post 43 and it is what people on this thread have been saying.

I have made my money through my own businesses that I started from scratch.

So basically you sell a product/service to people at a cost that is more than you paid for it.

No I don't respect that, nor do I think it is a sign of success.

I have made my money through my own businesses that I started from scratch. But how would people know this from the car I drive?

The police should be interested in that since you are not aloowed to make money. Money is only made in the mint, what you mean is that you've got your hands on other peoples' money.

So basically you sell a product/service to people at a cost that is more than you paid for it.

No I don't respect that, nor do I think it is a sign of success.

its one element of success as is having friends, family and being healthy..:) one commonality of successfull happy people is they dont bleat about it to anyone who will listen, they just go about being successfull and happy!

its one element of success as is having friends, family and being healthy..:) one commonality of successfull happy people is they dont bleat about it to anyone who will listen, they just go about being successfull and happy!

I know lot's of successful people and have they have learned how not to be vulgar. I have also be introduced to other rich people by my friends and some of them are outstandingly vulgar. They generally get short shrift.

Not even a hint of jealousy or bitterness in your opening gambit.:hihi:

No I just think it's pathetic how you keep posting about your so called luxury car and wait for someone to ask you what it is - we're not bothered. You can only legally do 70 tops in this country and smart cars can do that so yours will only get from A to B legally at the same time as our old Peugeot, jealous no, I don't have delusions of grandeur - I don't regard a car as a status symbol, I regard it as a means to get me where I want to go reliably and economically:roll::roll:

If you keep feeding him he'll not fit under his bridge before long.

He owns the bridge. It is a private bridge. With the taxes he has collected from people wanting to park near the bridge, he can pay to have the bridge altered, then charge the 'common' person more to use it.

:hihi:

Archived