Why do we behave differently towards the rich?

I must admit my attitude towards the rich and the poor does change dramatically. If I see a poor wretch in the street, I usually give them a sly kick if I think no-one is looking.

But.....if I meet somebody dripping with diamonds and furs or gold chains and a rolex, I am extremely servile and even touch my cap when I 'm not even wearing one. The hope is that some millionaire [ ess ] will say, " Oh, what a lovely little old man. " .....and bung me a few quid.

I 've never had a penny yet from any rich git and one of the lower orders kicked me back on the shins one day. I 'll keep trying though.

I must admit my attitude towards the rich and the poor does change dramatically. If I see a poor wretch in the street, I usually give them a sly kick if I think no-one is looking.

But.....if I meet somebody dripping with diamonds and furs or gold chains and a rolex, I am extremely servile and even touch my cap when I 'm not even wearing one. The hope is that some millionaire [ ess ] will say, " Oh, what a lovely little old man. " .....and bung me a few quid.

I 've never had a penny yet from any rich git and one of the lower orders kicked me back on the shins one day. I 'll keep trying though.

I know what I said about bowing out, but you have touched on a point that all the rest of the posters have missed due to there preoccupation with trying to be smart!;) Your post deserves more recognition Sir.

I too have noticed this 'other' attitude to the rich. Many of my staff creep round me in the hope that it may in some way further their careers. This behaviour actually repulses me, but I never let on as I can get them to do more or less what I want.:)

I know what I said about bowing out, but you have touched on a point that all the rest of the posters have missed due to there preoccupation with trying to be smart!;) Your post deserves more recognition Sir.

I too have noticed this 'other' attitude to the rich. Many of my staff creep round me in the hope that it may in some way further their careers. This behaviour actually repulses me, but I never let on as I can get them to do more or less what I want.:)

Although most people in expensive audis and bentleys are cowboy plumbers and other types of 'nouveau riche' assorted wide boys, so I'm not exactly sure how this relates to the public reaction to your car.

Although most people in expensive audis and bentleys are cowboy plumbers and other types of 'nouveau riche' assorted wide boys, so I'm not exactly sure how this relates to the public reaction to your car.

That's because you haven't read the OP carefuly enough.:)

That's because you haven't read the OP carefuly enough.:)

Yes I have. You don't seem to have noticed that flash cars have become less of a sign of wealth and more a crass display of the "loads of money" mentality which is often accompanied by an egocentric"out of my way" attitude to other road users. This probably accounts more for the negative reaction from other road users than any jealousy. Some of these blokes are spending more than 50% of their income on their motor, because it makes them feel like a big shot. Is that what you are calling wealth?

Yes I have. You don't seem to have noticed that flash cars have become less of a sign of wealth and more a crass display of the "loads of money" mentality which is often accompanied by an egocentric"out of my way" attitude to other road users. Which probably accounts morew for the negative reaction from other road users than any jealousy.

There is not one fact in your 60+ word post. That is quite an achievement!:)

Archived