Why do we behave differently towards the rich?

I'm pretty sure you are not the only one to realise that I am one of the few people talking sense on the issue, but you are one of the very few who are big enough to admit it. Well done.:)

i wouldnt go that far..

Call me crazy, but the point of it is for you, if you're doing it in order to impress people then that's pretty shallow.

I thought we did that because they were nice. Eg an expensive house is generally nicer to live in that a cheap one, be that the different neighbourhood, the size or the garden... You buy a nice watch because it looks nice... Again, to do these things to try to impress people is shallow.

I hope you don't try to impress them with your rolex, it's just not cool.

its not the point, Rolex's can be a currency in certain circles. Lets remove the issue of vulgarity etc. or whether one 'believes' in materialistic things. Its actually politics.

if you dont understand this theres no point debating the subject.

When it comes to money Americans and British attitudes to it are as fa apart as the poles.

Americans see a rich man and say "I want to be like him one day"

Britons think " I'd like to tax him out of existence"

The history of the two nations is a factor though. American capitalism grew out of liberty, fueled by puritanism and immigration. America was a different society to Britain.

British capitalism grew out of feudalism and the class system. It was a context of a new bourgeois versus the nobility. Capitalism was a factor in the civil war, the same puritan/calvinist ethic that sent people to America.

If you want to judge America's attitudes to money a little more closely, ask a black millionaire how people react to him.

its not the point, Rolex's can be a currency in certain circles. Lets remove the issue of vulgarity etc. or whether one 'believes' in materialistic things. Its actually politics.

Let's not, because it's simply just vulgar and that's all it is. I know lots of wealthy people but they never show off and try to act flash, or expect anything, because they have realised it will get them nowhere. In fact, my friends find such uncouthness rather vulgar too.

whoop!

It looks like I can play the 'rich' game too.

My house has just been evaluated, and it has increased by £128,617.36 in the last 3 years..... That is an increase, not the total value.

Now all you lesser humans can bow down to my greatness. You will recognise me driving around town in my 2001 reg, dusty, scratched and dented astra - please don't be jealous.

What isn't the point? I'm not sure how your reply is supposed to relate to what I said...

Let's not remove the issue of vulgarity and accept that going on about or trying to prove how much you earn to people is vulgar.

I don't know how you get on with your friends, but if you have to consider the relationships in political terms, and score points by having the most expensive watch, then I pity you.

I'm not sure that, with cars, it's so much a matter of wealth.

A couple of instances on my commute last night reminded me (as if I needed reminding, 11 years on :rolleyes:) that I still regularly get cut up/abused on the road by the odd idiot in my 13-year old car, as soon as the sun is shining and I drive around with the top down. 'They' simply must overtake me (dangerously if that's what it takes), or not let me merge, or out-accelerate me at the lights (or worse, accelerate while I overtake them), or sit on my back bumper at the speed limit for miles, or...

It can't be the car (98 R MX5, sub £3k value, it does look really well for its age...but that doesn't make it a "flash" car), they don't know me from Adam (so don't know whether I'm rich or poor... and I tend to dress rather "drably" :D), therefore I can only conclude that it's simply jealousy. Pure, simple, aeons-old, apolitical human trait.

I think the OP has issues....

I mean this in the nicest way. I'm just trying to be helpful. I feel you have some sort of mental health issue. No doubt a professional in this field could elaborate further.

It seems to me that you try to encourage dislike towards yourself because deep down you don't like yourself. Maybe you have gone through life gathering wealth because you see this as a route to a happiness? You've now got plenty of wealth but the happiness did not follow?

You seem to be trying to use your wealth to irritate others. Everyone knows that unhappy people try to make others more unhappy, you do this by pointing out how inferior others are to you. This gives you a momentary sense of worth.

Someone who is content and living in bliss with money and success would not feel the need to keep mentioning it.:D

What isn't the point? I'm not sure how your reply is supposed to relate to what I said...

Let's not remove the issue of vulgarity and accept that going on about or trying to prove how much you earn to people is vulgar.

I don't know how you get on with your friends, but if you have to consider the relationships in political terms, and score points by having the most expensive watch, then I pity you.

I didnt say that. Whats my friends got to do with it? You don't understand so go back and read the points again.

Im simply pointing out (one of the points) that guys go round a golf course or into meetings flashing watches etc. as a status thing, its how Business gets done in certain circles.

It's politics.

My views on whether this is vulgar are not doesnt actually matter. Because it happens and I understand why it happens.

Let's not, because it's simply just vulgar and that's all it is. I know lots of wealthy people but they never show off and try to act flash, or expect anything, because they have realised it will get them nowhere. In fact, my friends find such uncouthness rather vulgar too.

The problem with this country is, if you drive down the street in an expensive car the majority of people (not all) hate you for it.

In America, you drive down the street in a nice car and people admire you for it and think you must have worked hard.

Its a different mentality driven by jealousy and repressed ideals of working a 'solid 9-5' job.

Lets call a spade a spade, 'success' is a dirty word. Its sad.

Archived