Why do we behave differently towards the rich?

I agree. I wish we could go back to what it was like to when people really earned their crust, literally. Like in the Victorian era. The people worked hard and if they didn't enjoy their 14 hour days and scummy housing conditions, they had the choice of workhouse or death. If they got lazy and found themselves unemployed they starved or got a new job. And there weren't many new jobs around back then.

They knew how to work, and how to look after themselves. They were so hard-working that they even sent their children to work to learn all about sticking their hands in dangerous machines. You don't need school when you've got a solid regular job, not like kids today.

An interesting point of view, there is a lot of truth in what you say.:)

Oh I agree that image can be important, but there's a huge difference between creating your image and flashing your cash.

What you said earlier was that there was no point in being successful as a self employed person, unless it was obvious to others. Which is nothing to do with an image being presented to investors is it!

This is just about making sure that people (who I assumed to be your friends and acquaintances, but could also include clients and colleagues) know that you have a certain level of money.

Its a status thing rather than money, every man on a primal level wants status and recognition. Theres plenty of evolutionary psychology books on the subject. Thats why you might envy the man in his fast car, because he represents the Alpha male of the species..thats where the denial of recognition of lower status, or 'vulgarity' comments come from...Ask Chuck Norris, he's Alpha..

The history of the two nations is a factor though. American capitalism grew out of liberty, fueled by puritanism and immigration. America was a different society to Britain.

British capitalism grew out of feudalism and the class system. It was a context of a new bourgeois versus the nobility. Capitalism was a factor in the civil war, the same puritan/calvinist ethic that sent people to America.

If you want to judge America's attitudes to money a little more closely, ask a black millionaire how people react to him.

You mean like Kobe Bryant for example? He's a home town hero in my part of the world

Its a status thing rather than money, every man on a primal level wants status and recognition. Theres plenty of evolutionary psychology books on the subject. Thats why you might envy the man in his fast car, because he represents the Alpha male of the species..thats where the denial of recognition of lower status, or 'vulgarity' comments come from...Ask Chuck Norris, he's Alpha..

Utter tosh

I'll just let him out of this arm lock and see what he has to say.

That's funny! :hihi::hihi:

TJC1 has a point though. I'm an Alpha Male, whether I brag about my wealth or not, people will still envy me. It is the way of the world, I was born to be this way it wasn't my choice.

The history of the two nations is a factor though. American capitalism grew out of liberty, fueled by puritanism and immigration. America was a different society to Britain.

British capitalism grew out of feudalism and the class system. It was a context of a new bourgeois versus the nobility. Capitalism was a factor in the civil war, the same puritan/calvinist ethic that sent people to America.

If you want to judge America's attitudes to money a little more closely, ask a black millionaire how people react to him.

Only the second post that I have found worthy of reading through twice since joining this forum. Well done Chris.

TJC1 has a point though. I'm an Alpha Male, whether I brag about my wealth or not, people will still envy me. It is the way of the world, I was born to be this way it wasn't my choice.

What you're hearing on the forum is laughter, not envy.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived