Crime doesn't pay- does anyone still believe this?

Story for you.

Part of my law degree was criminology, which involved a visiting author, who was an ex gang member in London visiting us to talk. He did this to many uni's to people on similar courses.

One of his themes was that crime didn't pay. He gave a story how he'd been a major gang member, but had seen his own mother shot, so in his view, crime definitely didn't pay.

My only question to him was "are the university paying you to be here today?". Turns out they were. Clearly therefore, crime does pay. He didn't approve of that question though.

A prison inmate doing life more than likely is a firm believer that crime doesn't pay
why ? all he loses is the freedom to go to a pub,go to a football match yet he gets accomodation,in some cases its 4 star he gets 4 meals a day has no taxes to pay gets his laundry done etc etc etc

some pensioners would give all they have to be in the same position as a felon

look at venables the child killer ,he got a better education than most kids his age ,he got set up for life with a new name and 24/7 bodyguard ,yet he still ends up re offending ,now he's trying to blackmail the system ,if they dont provide him with a move to austrailia he will commit suicide ,i personaly dont give a damn let him rot or die ,either way it's self inflicted

Most habitual criminals spend a large proportion of their lives behind bars, and generally end up dying in poverty. They are statistically very likely to have mental health problems, be drug addicts and come from backgrounds of poor parenting/neglect, without any good role models.

The criminals that thrive and become wealthy without spennding long periods behind bars are the minority. unless you include the shady dealings indulged in by those in politics and big business who know how to make the right connections and get around the law, in which case there are quite a few of them, but they aren't the types who people would generally categorise as criminals, although I weold.

Another story:

An ex-employee was discovered to have stolen some money from a subsidiary. He/she was a purchase ledger clerk and had posted a false invoice to a supplier's account and changed the bank details for payment of approx £10k to his/her own account.

This was discovered at HQ after he/she had left, and an investigation began. It was evident that controls at the subsidiary were lacking, and he/she had destroyed paperwork which made it impossible to determine if this was a one-off or if he/she had committed numerous frauds. Our hunch was with the latter.

So at this stage we went to the police with the information we had. It was easy, all they had to do was examine his/her bank account and any payment into it from our company which was not salary would be fraudulent.

However, they refused to look at his/her bank accounts because this would be an infringement of his/her human rights! Unbelievable.

He/she pleaded guilty to the one fraud, claiming that it was the only one. His/her punishment was a fine of just £1,000.

So in this instance the claim that "crime does not pay", was untrue.

A prison inmate doing life more than likely is a firm believer that crime doesn't pay

Cobblers, they get three square meals a day and all the laid on entertainment they couldn't afford outside:roll::roll:

I do see quite a few people driving around in flash cars that are not from the village. They are obviously into something dodgy so I would have to say that crime does pay in some cases.:mad:

By tha gets about a bit dunt tha, lad, tha must be in thy flash car:love::love:

I do see quite a few people driving around in flash cars that are not from the village. They are obviously into something dodgy so I would have to say that crime does pay in some cases.:mad:

Or visiting?

Archived