Protein shakes and trying to be healthy

Just started at a gym near me and trying to lose abit of weight and be healthy.

I was told by a guy who works at the gym to try protein shakes. I know very little about this sort of think, ive been told it will be good for my muscles as i also want to tone up abit too.

Can anybody give me any advice on this. What kind? how much should i have and when? anything really.

Cheers.

Boxcar84.

Basic info: You need carbs for energy to train and protein afterwards to build & repair muscle. Do be a aware that protein shakes (in the form of whey protein for example) are a supplement to food and not a replacement for food.

I would advise going for a whey protein without any additives or sweeteners . When mixed with full skimmed milk it tastes very good, and will be very low fat. Full skimmed milk is also higher protein than the other options. Never buy any product that contain aspartame. If you require a bulk supplier of natural whey without anything added or taken away that is 80% protein PM me and I will direct you.

Maximuscle Promax is the most popular general protein shake. Just follow the instructions and don't have too many and you'll be on your way. I use them and it has certainly helped. They are simply purer and more targeted than ordinary food.

You say you want to lose weight and tone up. You won't have the appearance of having toned muscles even if they're really well toned if you have a layer of subcutaneous fat over the top of them, and protein shakes have plenty of calories in them, so if you need to lose weight too then you need to take them into account when making food buying and eating decisions.

Archived