English Civil War - Sheffield

Damkina

Strictly speaking there was more than one civil war. There was the war between Matilda and Stephen, and then the War of the Roses and then the 2 Civil Wars in the 17th century that now are lumped together known as the English Civil War. But Hey who's counting?

Just like to thank everyone for replying, and to Angilaruk for the wonderful invite. We would love to join, but I'm afraid the work rotas mean one or the other won't be able to attend for every meeting, although I will take a look at your site as soon as I have posted.

Like you say, I haven't seen the Civil War done at Norfolk Park for a few years now, the last time was when they had the horses and I'm sure a canon too. But we always attend as I like to have a chat with the people in the camp about daily life.

We are booked up already for the bank holiday, but hopefully we might get to the one in August.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm looking for information specifically about Sheffield during the war that isn't on the net, and where (if any) would i go to look at them? Are there any name lists of Sheffield people that were in the castle or the siege around it, where in Sheffield did they come from and what life was like here during the war? I'm thinking more of the common people as well as the more well known Lady Saville and John Bright.

I do have a copy of some extracts from August 1st-11th 1644, but was hoping that there is a more in-depth book or papers to read.

Blackbeard, yes John Bright was from Cabrook. I was born across the road from that pub and it's said that he still visits. I've had a few spooky happenings in there over the years, so I wouldn't discount it either. :)

Archived