The Large and the Small.

Texas

Pubs that is......... I got to thinking about the number of pubs, in days gone bye, and which was the largest and the smallest. My boozing started in the late 40's so I can't go any further back than that, indeed, who the hell wants to? The first pub I ever went in and got a drink was the Minerva, top of Charles St. It seemed immense to me back then but I reckon the Nelson was bigger. So I reckon that was the biggest in area. The smallest I ever went in, in Sheffield, was on the same street, a couple of blocks below the Minerva, called the Red Lion I think. It was just a front room. But another contender for the smallest was the Marshall Tavern down the bank/Pitsmoor Road. That was tiny.

The Sheaf View on Gleadless Rd was in its time the smallest, the front room of the bar would be full with ten people in, it did lay derelict for quite a few years but it was done up and now has a new lease of life as a real ale pub and does very well.

Pubs that is......... I got to thinking about the number of pubs, in days gone bye, and which was the largest and the smallest. My boozing started in the late 40's so I can't go any further back than that, indeed, who the hell wants to? The first pub I ever went in and got a drink was the Minerva, top of Charles St. It seemed immense to me back then but I reckon the Nelson was bigger. So I reckon that was the biggest in area. The smallest I ever went in, in Sheffield, was on the same street, a couple of blocks below the Minerva, called the Red Lion I think. It was just a front room. But another contender for the smallest was the Marshall Tavern down the bank/Pitsmoor Road. That was tiny.

The bath hotel on Victoria St is pretty small

The Sheaf View on Gleadless Rd was in its time the smallest, the front room of the bar would be full with ten people in, it did lay derelict for quite a few years but it was done up and now has a new lease of life as a real ale pub and does very well.

I remember it well.

The front bar was so small that you cold order a drink, pay for and take it of the bar without leaving your seat,

the back room was no larger than the average sized living room.

m&p

My Aunt and Uncle ran the Sheaf View in the mid 1970s. it was, indeed so very small. the loos were outside, and IIRC, this was why they were not permitted a spirits licence, only one to sell ales and porter.

They moved to Oxford in the late seventies.

My Aunt and Uncle ran the Sheaf View in the mid 1970s. it was, indeed so very small. the loos were outside, and IIRC, this was why they were not permitted a spirits licence, only one to sell ales and porter.

They moved to Oxford in the late seventies.

That don't make any sense PT,

surely people would pee less if they drank shorts :hihi:

That don't make any sense PT,

surely people would pee less if they drank shorts :hihi:

well, it got me thinking

:huh::loopy::huh:

as well....

I don't know what the magistrates were thinking, but my aunt and uncle were, indeed, only permitted a beer license.

And yes, I remember how poky the bar was:- almost literally, the place was the bar, a door, and the depth of the landsettle wide,

The upstairs, in the living quarters, was just as if an ordinary terraced 2-up, 2-down house had been plonked on top of the ground floor pub premises.

Wasn`t that the one that was known as The Bacon Box?

I know you have a brilliant memory (I haven't) but I seem to remember that a Sam and Lil (drums and piano ?) ran a weekly talent contest in those days at the Minerva, And wasn't the pub (King George ?) almost next door to the Nelson a bit on the large size.

Archived