The Large and the Small.

Texas

My goodness, Bracken, that old photograph's stunning.

I had only ever known (In my own memory of visiting my Aunt and Uncle) the pub to be "detached".

I always wondered what was there before. I never realised the pub was connected to a terrace of houses. They must have been demolished in the early seventies, at the latest.

(... *thinks* ... which, I suppose would be logical if it were connected to the demolitions in that area, for the bypass that never happened)

My goodness, Bracken, that old photograph's stunning.

I had only ever known (In my own memory of visiting my Aunt and Uncle) the pub to be "detached".

I always wondered what was there before. I never realised the pub was connected to a terrace of houses. They must have been demolished in the early seventies, at the latest.

(... *thinks* ... which, I suppose would be logical if it were connected to the demolitions in that area, for the bypass that never happened)

The houses were still "joined on" in the late 60's.

Pubs that is......... I got to thinking about the number of pubs, in days gone bye, and which was the largest and the smallest. My boozing started in the late 40's so I can't go any further back than that, indeed, who the hell wants to? The first pub I ever went in and got a drink was the Minerva, top of Charles St. It seemed immense to me back then but I reckon the Nelson was bigger. So I reckon that was the biggest in area. The smallest I ever went in, in Sheffield, was on the same street, a couple of blocks below the Minerva, called the Red Lion I think. It was just a front room. But another contender for the smallest was the Marshall Tavern down the bank/Pitsmoor Road. That was tiny.

hiya, i write on an earlier post of mine about the broomhall district when i was young, when i look back the local pubs were all small come to think the larger ones were nearly always under used, there were 21 pubs within a quarter of an hours walk from where i lived at the time,and in 1895 there were even more hotels,public houses, beer houses, to read the book ",a pub on every corner," was true but had beerhouses in between as well,1n 1895 in sheffield alone there were over 600 beerhouses listed, and 29 brewerys. these are besides ,public houses and hotels, and beer retailers, the latter might have been what we called off licences.

My Aunt and Uncle ran the Sheaf View in the mid 1970s. it was, indeed so very small. the loos were outside, and IIRC, this was why they were not permitted a spirits licence, only one to sell ales and porter.

They moved to Oxford in the late seventies.

Regarding a spirits licence the Norfolk Arms on Suffolk Rd (the original dodgers) was a beer house only

Wasn`t that the one that was known as The Bacon Box?

Yes, that's the one. You went down some steps from street level which might've made it appear smaller, but it was small. There's some good memories on here and some great photographs. It's obvious there was an abundance of small pubs but I haven't been in half of them. Some of them mentioned I've never even heard of.

I was trying to think of the other large pub near the Nelson, somebody mentioned the name King George, it doesn't rattle any marbles.

Thinking on small pubs again, the smallest one I ever went in was out in the wilds of Northumberland. I know it's nothing to do with Sheffield but I thought I'd mention it. It was just like a room on a kitchen, about 10'X8', the beer was in a barrel, one bottle of whiskey, a carton of cigarets. I can remember sitting there, with my beer, and listening to two guys rapping away and I didn't understand a word. I could've been in the Balkans or somewhere.

I think they called them 'hedge pubs' in days gone bye.

Archived