Life is what you make it!

I was thinking the other day, are contentment and happiness the same thing?

Contentment suggests more of a neutral state. You neither feel happiness or sadness. It's a blank canvas upon which your mind can paint anything it wishes. You're truly at one with yourself. You accept everything that comes and goes in the moment. You may smile, but you don't feel the need to because there is no real emotion to outwardly express. It's not numbness, but full awareness.

Both happiness and unhappiness are painted onto this canvas, rather than being the blank canvas itself, and therefore heavily subject to external influence. Contentment is much closer to selfhood and comes purely from within.

I was thinking the other day, are contentment and happiness the same thing?

Contentment suggests more of a neutral state. You neither feel happiness or sadness. It's a blank canvas upon which your mind can paint anything it wishes. You're truly at one with yourself. You accept everything that comes and goes in the moment. You may smile, but you don't feel the need to because there is no real emotion to outwardly express. It's not numbness, but full awareness.

Both happiness and unhappiness are painted onto this canvas, rather than being the blank canvas itself, and therefore heavily subject to external influence. Contentment is much closer to selfhood and comes purely from within.

I like the cut of your jib! :love:

Be happy people...you have a choice. :)

I can't see youtube form here.

Is that the short film he did that you can watch in two parts about the circus freak show?

If it isn't I recommend watching it. It is beautifully shot and produced with a profoundly inspiring message.

I think I was partly arguing from a different viewpoint, and that’s partly down to my fault because I hadn’t watched the video in your opening thread post. Apologies for that. However, I have seen this guy before, and I think he has something quite special in terms of achievement against all the odds, in both a spiritual and practical way. I suppose I’m thrown by your username as it leads me to guess your belief, and if I’m right, then I disagree with it. Thing is… although I agree that decision-making has consequences of either good, or bad, and also carries personal responsibility, I don’t think there’s a law connected to fulfilment of dreams and personal satisfaction in this lifetime.

The reason I don’t think so is because from what I see, hear and read, bad and selfish decisions can be rewarded in people’s lives-for example certain celebrities who have all the things ordinary hard-working people would love to have-the house, the comforts, the luxuries, the children, the adventure, the choices. On the opposite side, I think of the people who have to live with tragedy, for example: poverty; redundancy and loss of earnings; the parents’ of children that are kidnapped, killed or harmed; family members who are diagnosed with terminal or chronic disease; earthquakes; tsunamis and generally just allsorts of disaster which isn’t deserved.

And so, even though ‘life is what you make it, or ‘life is what you make of it’ can sound like an inspirational message of hope for the unmotivated, it can also suddenly sound like empty words for the traumatised and bereaved. Surely sometimes people just need help and support, which is difficult to ask for and accept. I mean we’d all like to be happy and independent, but ultimately and realistically, that could only ever be a temporary state of pride at best.

I’m sure your thread and viewpoint is well intentioned, and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, and I think you are quite right, to a degree. Yet I remain somewhat unsure and curious of your own beliefs.

Archived