Plough at Hathersage

Had Sunday lunch yesterday at the Plough at Hathersage. We have been a few times in the past and had quite good food but yesterdays was dreadful.

Three of our party had the Sunday roast - beef was very fatty and the Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes seemed to be very much of the frozen variety.

I had a chicken dish - French name but turned out to be just risotto in a bowl with about six chicken legs underneath it. I was starving when I'd finished it!

We'd had reasonably tasty starters, one glass of wine, two beers and one soft drink and it totalled over £90. Not good value for money - but like all Brits we didn't complain!! Has anyone else had the same experience?

I was in the Plough at Hathersage yesterday lunchtime (Sunday 17/04), the wife and I had the roast beef sandwich, roast potatoes and gravy for a fiver which I thought was quite reasonable, you could upgrade to large which consisted of an extra roast potato! The beef was cooked to perfection and not at all fatty. Drinks on the expensive side though, ... pint of Adnams and a small house white wine, £8.50, we only had one, so not the end of the world. The Plough is a nice pub, but it doesn't warrant these sort of prices, but hey, you always get stung in the Peak District!

Can be a bit hit and miss but always obliging and a nice Landlord, yes he was a butcher at Banner Cross.

Went there two years ago to treat visiting friends to a nice meal after getting fobbed off at the pretentious Hathersage arm of the walnut club empire and he treat us all like Royalty, had agreat evening plus he's still raking it in and look on the scrap heap for the others, haha...:hihi:;)

• 1 month later...

I wondered if the Plough had changed hands as well? We've always had decent food there over the years. Excellent carvery, other choices of a reliable standard and seemingly home cooked. I wouldn't have said it was fine dining, more like good food at a reasonable price in a venue you were likely to get a table without booking. ie good all-round bet for a Sunday lunch.

Haven't been for a while until last week. Had a friend visiting and decided to pop out to the Peak. Were very disappointed. Food was nowhere near as good as it used to be - edible, but you'd get just as good in Morrison's cafe. All seemed to be out of the freezer. Fish and chips were the biggest let down - previously the fish has been of whale proportions, not this time.

What has happened? Menu looks the same, bar staff seem to be the same, prices the same. New management? New suppliers? Cutting corners on quality?

Such a shame.

I was in the Plough at Hathersage yesterday lunchtime (Sunday 17/04), the wife and I had the roast beef sandwich, roast potatoes and gravy for a fiver which I thought was quite reasonable, you could upgrade to large which consisted of an extra roast potato! The beef was cooked to perfection and not at all fatty. Drinks on the expensive side though, ... pint of Adnams and a small house white wine, £8.50, we only had one, so not the end of the world. The Plough is a nice pub, but it doesn't warrant these sort of prices, but hey, you always get stung in the Peak District!

Try the Nags in Edale, if you really want to be confused, from hikers pub to posers pub

Archived