Woody PINES + OCR - Tue 3 May, Greystones

Whippoorwill

Viper Jazz, Rag-time, country-blues from North-Carolina who learnt their trade in New Orleans are what Maverick Magazine call an “Intoxicating blend of rural and urban stringband, country blues, ragtime and jug band music” .

"Woody Pines is a force of nature!" - Cindy Lamb, Leo Weekly Louisville KY

"Stick on your pork pie hat, grab a slug of moonshine and cut yourself a rug.” - Maverick Magazine, March 2010

"...The new album, 'Counting Alligators', is five original songs, five traditional tunes and one bouncing and rollicking version of Billy Briggs' 'Chew Tobacco Rag'. My latest theme song is 'Satisfied', and 'Harlem' has a horn arrangement that makes you feel like you're sitting in the Cotton Club." - Chris Parton, CMT Nashville TN

"Rock solid sexy old time vaudeville hill-billy groove" - Sxip Shirey of the Luminescent Orchestrii, NYC

There was a time when Woody Pines went out alone with resonator guitar to make a name for himself in Louisiana, then playing coast-to-coast across the USA.

He teamed up with Gill Landry (Old Crow Medicine Show) to form The Kitchen Syncopators and they made great music together for a couple of years.

These days Woody fronts a hot little band with the same name, that has become one of the busiest on the Stateside roots music circuit, winning accolades aplenty and praise from some of the giants of the Americana scene.

He and Gill remained close buddies and together, they produced the band's latest album, Counting Alligators, which won rave reviews on both sides of the Atlantic.

Constant playing companion, Zach Pozebanchuk has been in from the early days and Lyon Graulty – one of the classiest dudes on the circuit, from stints with The Amity Front and Lauren Ambrose and The Leisure Class – stepped in to the line-up to add a new dynamic to the Trio's sound, switching from slide guitar to clarinet and adding some harmony vocals.

After seeing the band at the 2010 Nelsonville Folk & Blues Festival in Ohio, Billy Joe Shaver, the top gun Outlaw Country legend described by Willie Nelson as "possibly the best songwriter alive today," declared: “Woody Pines is the best band I ever heard in my life I swear.... I'm their biggest fan now”

The band has been playing dates in America with one of our all-time favourite roots jam bands, Donna The Buffalo.

That's as rock solid as cred can be!

http://www.woodypines.com

THE OUTWOODS COUNTY RIDERS

We had these guys play Whippoorwill back in the early days in their previous incarnation of the 44s. They got everyone going with their R.L Burnside inspired electric Mississippi blues – they have since taken on a more old time acoustic element but they still have the primitive ability to make it sound loud and raw. Tonight’s set will be a stripped back version of the band – dangerous and contagious; they’re the musical equivalent of gonorrhoea but in a good way.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116314355089438&ref=mf

Archived