Horse meat shop

In the late 60s I worked on Ellin Street at the bottom of the Moor, near to where Staples is today. Ellin Street was nearly all car show rooms and garages, including Rippon Brothers who sold Rolls Royces. But my question is, can anyone remember the butchers shop on Hereford Street that only sold horse meat fit for human consumption? I remember my boss sending me round there for fresh horse meat for his dog. The meat looked darker than beef with a yellowish fat. I also used to go across the road to a small sweet shop for a quarter of winter mixture sweets. Around the corner was a fish and chip shop where the assistant always had a Park Drive ciggie hanging out the corner of her mouth. Ah happy days, pre. Health and Safety and Political Correctness.

herbert thomas his sign read [horse meat for human consumption

he had a small slaughter house at the top of woodbourn rd

had many a pound of steak from him so long as it was a young horse it was better than beef

it was 3 shillings a pound across the road was talbats their steak was ten shillings a pound

I remember my mother taking me to a horse meat shop on Holme Lane Hillsborough in the 50s.The meat was hung in the window and I remember how yellow the fat was,also remember an old lady in the queue saying[its not for us luv,its for the dog]yere right!:roll::roll::hihi:

• 3 weeks later...
I remember my mother taking me to a horse meat shop on Holme Lane Hillsborough in the 50s.The meat was hung in the window and I remember how yellow the fat was,also remember an old lady in the queue saying[its not for us luv,its for the dog]yere right!:roll::roll::hihi:

There was one on spital hill called (willis) he use't to buy the retied farm horse's there would come by train to the victory station 6 to 8 at a time & would pay half a crown to anybody who would walk them to his stable's just off catherine st pitsmoor.

Am I wrong in thinking this thread is second time around

Probably right but the OM only joined in April '11 so he obviously hasn't read the previous thread.

But having said that, 2/6d a lb was good money for a good steak.

The Belgians love horse meat and the Fench do a good cheval burger with french fries obviously.

• 1 year later...

My Mothers uncle was Herbert Thomas and I believe they also used to have a small cafe in town somewhere near Mulbury Street and was run by his wife Winnie. I remember going there with my Mum in the early 1960's when I was about 6 or 7 and Winnie was a small 'cuddly' very jolly lady.

I remember this shop too - it was just above the tram sheds, my Nan lived round the corner in Haden St. I can see the proprietor now, small dark haired man with glasses; his name is on the tip of my tongue - was it Hollins or something like that? Hillsbro, please will you consult your Kelly's ......!

Archived