Is Equality something that Governments should strive to impose on people?

Equality sounds good in theory, but think carefully about what it means.

For example, you can't make someone smarter (you can try to educate them, you can't even guarantee that that will succeed), but inate intelligence can't be imparted.

You can't make someone faster, taller or stronger (beyond a certain point).

So that means that if you're naturally smart, fast, tall or strong, you'll have to be brought down somehow to make everyone equal.

Then we can extend the idea to possessions, of course with the government managing it, money will no longer be necessary, it would only make people unequal. So in this perfectly equal society (we'd best include the whole world I suppose, or it won't be fair), everyone will be given an equal portion of grain or rice and some water, an equal shelter, and of course state employment.

When you first say it, equality sounds great, when you actually consider it, I'm not so keen...

Maybe if you only consider equal opportunity though, that'd be better. Unless that means that you aren't allowed to pay extra for a personal tutor, or pay for guitar lessons. Getting that extra training would give you a greater opportunity, at least if someone else couldn't afford them...

So, does that mean that the root cause of inequality is money? Maybe. And the root cause of some people having more than others, ability? Probably. Which brings me back to not thinking it's such a good idea to reduce the ability of everyone down to the lowest level...

I firmly believe that an over emphasis on equality reduces us all - there is no such thing as equality.

It is far better that we are encouraged and allowed to excel to the best of our own ability.

Equality sounds good in theory, but think carefully about what it means.

For example, you can't make someone smarter (you can try to educate them, you can't even guarantee that that will succeed), but inate intelligence can't be imparted.

You can't make someone faster, taller or stronger (beyond a certain point).

So that means that if you're naturally smart, fast, tall or strong, you'll have to be brought down somehow to make everyone equal.

Then we can extend the idea to possessions, of course with the government managing it, money will no longer be necessary, it would only make people unequal. So in this perfectly equal society (we'd best include the whole world I suppose, or it won't be fair), everyone will be given an equal portion of grain or rice and some water, an equal shelter, and of course state employment.

When you first say it, equality sounds great, when you actually consider it, I'm not so keen...

Maybe if you only consider equal opportunity though, that'd be better. Unless that means that you aren't allowed to pay extra for a personal tutor, or pay for guitar lessons. Getting that extra training would give you a greater opportunity, at least if someone else couldn't afford them...

So, does that mean that the root cause of inequality is money? Maybe. And the root cause of some people having more than others, ability? Probably. Which brings me back to not thinking it's such a good idea to reduce the ability of everyone down to the lowest level...

Seems an extreme way of looking at equality Cyclone.

I firmly believe that an over emphasis on equality reduces us all - there is no such thing as equality.

It is far better that we are encouraged and allowed to excel to the best of our own ability.

Perhaps, but that isn't the case in society. You can't have people getting above their station.

The government doesn't want educated people unless they are from a well-off background, which is why the price of a university education is being hiked.

They're a bit silly letting people borrow the money then, and only pay it back when and if they've become well off. That policy completely wipes out any attempt to restrict education to the rich.

Perhaps, but that isn't the case in society. You can't have people getting above their station.

Maybe that is how it is in your miserable downtrodden society but not in mine. Come and join us in the light.

I thought the idea was that if you were a bit thick, slow, short or weak you still got the same opportunities as the people you mentioned ?

Unless you think short people are different to tall people (other than in height)

Archived