Is Equality something that Governments should strive to impose on people?

I taught at a school where the Headmistress wanted a 'Community Statement'

Her offering started with the words: "All children in this school will be equal."

It failed right there. One of my colleagues pointed out that 'John Smith' had only one leg. He asked who was going to do the surgery and whether the other parents might complain were we to make their children equal.

I taught at a school where the Headmistress wanted a 'Community Statement'

Her offering started with the words: "All children in this school will be equal."

It failed right there. One of my colleagues pointed out that 'John Smith' had only one leg. He asked who was going to do the surgery and whether the other parents might complain were we to make their children equal.

What she should have said is that the school will strive to treat all children with equal positive regard and give them equal opportunities to learn.

What she should have said is that the school will strive to treat all children with equal positive regard and give them equal opportunities to learn.

What, even if what they said was a downright lie?

What, even if what they said was a downright lie?

Your post is unclear. The original statement was clearly something they couldn't achieve. My alternative version - ie that the school would strive to treat all children with the same positive regard and equal opportunities to learn - are you suggesting that would be a lie too?

equality can not, and does not mean, asking beckam to come up with a theory of the universe and hawking to lead the boys to world cup glory

That is exactly what equality means. It means that everyone is equal.

What you're talking about is "equality of opportunity," which nobody has argued against yet.

Your post is unclear. The original statement was clearly something they couldn't achieve. My alternative version - ie that the school would strive to treat all children with the same positive regard and equal opportunities to learn - are you suggesting that would be a lie too?

The statement probably should read "we will aim to treat..." rather than "we will treat..." to prevent people from quibbling over the point. I'm not sure if that's what Mecky was getting at, though.

There's no fooling you is there. The only people who want equality are those who stand to gain.

Archived