Is Equality something that Governments should strive to impose on people?

If everyone was equal, who would I employ? who would make stuff for me to sell? How could I entice people to take orders from me if the were equal in wealth to me!?? Equality just wouldn't work. End of silly thread.:roll:

what business are you in, M?

equality should simply be all of us being the best 'whatever' we are capable of being. this doesn't mean we all become geniuses, businessmen, usain bolt etc...just that we, as jung would say, self actualize.
What we aspire to be makes us who we are. If you want what they've got.. do what they've done. That's the best policy.

The great granddaughter of coal miners is marrying the Prince Royal next week. Think about what that means. Equality is being forced on the Monarchy, whether it likes it or not, and about time.

what business are you in, M?

I have a few businesses on the go Kaimani, some I am more hands on with than others. I have a manufacturing business and a construction business that I will not name as I advertise them on this forum under a different name. I employ managers to take care of the day to day running of these. I also own property that I let. This is one thing that I will not let anyone else take care of, I have used several letting agents in the past but no-one cares like I do!;).

What we aspire to be makes us who we are. If you want what they've got.. do what they've done. That's the best policy.

yes and no. i might aspire to be as smart as newton. but i'm not as smart as he was when it came to science, math etc. aspiring to be like him makes no snese. no matter how hard i work it's never gonna happen.

but if i am 'aware' and know my own strengths and weaknesses i can much further than i can trying to emulate someone else.

the 'you can be anything you want to be' mantra is wrong. so too is the 'know your place' chant.

somewhere in the middle is where we need to be, i think.

I have a few businesses on the go Kaimani, some I am more hands on with than others. I have a manufacturing business and a construction business that I will not name as I advertise them on this forum under a different name. I employ managers to take care of the day to day running of these. I also own property that I let. This is one thing that I will not let anyone else take care of, I have used several letting agents in the past but no-one cares like I do!;).

you've done well, M. next you'll be in city hall? or is it town hall, it confuses me.

ps-you self made or....

All of us are born equal, or ought to be. None of us can walk, feed ourselves, or clean ourselves up. animals start out more able than we are. Circumstances change as we develop. Some develop their intellect as they grow more than others. Some are born richer than others. Some have a better habitat to live in than others. It would be ideal if everyone on earth had the same opportunity to be the best they could, but it has never happened, and I doubt it ever will. While ever there is competition to be better than your neighbor, some will be left behind.

If I remember my sociology unit properly, the original Kibbutz's where children were brought up collectively was a kind of experiment in equality of opportunity.... and whilst there aren't many left that operate that way there are a number of evaluations that would suggest that the outcomes were beneficial.

Archived