Music shop on Leopold Street ..

ginseng

I got my first guitar from Wilson Peck in 1955, everything was on the ground floor at that time from memory, as I banged my hip on a grand piano whilst we were walking around looking at the few Spanish guitars on the wall.

Wilson Peck sold more orchesteral instuments at that time, but Cann's seemed to have the market for record's and electric guitars a couple of years later.

I think it was Wilson Pecks. I spend many a happy (and not so happy) hour having piano lessons in the studios upstairs.

Came back to Sheffield from Melbourne a couple of year ago and I was amazed at the changes. Glad to see that Andrews the stationers were still there - I'm an old City Grammar student and spent a lot of my spare money on books and pens in that shop.

Tofty, Can you remember the name of the manageress at that time.

Sorry my memory is not that good on names.

At the time I was 16/17 and in the record dept there was a girl about the same age, a slightly older man probably mid to late 20's and an older woman but their names I can't think of.

Hello dunsel, The reason I remember Canns moving to Chapel Walk, was I knew a girl that worked there,but thats another story.

Then, you have first hand knowledge. I only remember the Dixon Lane location. But, I don't think it was ever on the Moor as someone has suggested, was it?

Archived