Cameron has created 117 Lords in last year.

Quite the reverse. The one absolute certainty in life is that nobody can choose who their parents are, and nor can any other person possibly influence it either.

You're arguing that you can have "a person" in the job if it's hereditary. That doesn't give us any sense of logic to hereditary peerage.

A Lord lottery works just the same.

before the election david cameron said he would reduce the number of MP's and Lords, i havent seen many mp's losing their jobs yet, and making 117 new lords wow, 792 @ £300 quid a day + expences each

David Cameron has been told to stop creating so many Lords as the place is now "full".

The coalition is committed to reducing the numbers in the House of Commons so why has Cameron rushed to stuff an extra 117 people into the House of Lords?

I thought the Tories were in favour of small government, trimming waste and reducing spending - but obviously not when it comes to ennobling peers.

There's nothing like getting your people in place is there?

Seeing as we're never going to get a real version of PR, and none of them are exactly 100% fair, at least we could try and have a more representative upper house - what about picking people randomly from the electoral register, for fixed terms, a bit like jury service but people can say 'no' if they wish.

I like this idea; it could go a step further and only pick people that don't vote in elections. The non voters are probably the people that wouldn't be biased because they dislike all the parties equally.

Quite the reverse. The one absolute certainty in life is that nobody can choose who their parents are, and nor can any other person possibly influence it either.

I think my parents add some influence on who my parents are.:)

Archived