Hypothetically- Organs of a loved one donated to their killer.

This is completely hypothetical, so no nit picking.

Imagine you're at the hospital as a loved one has just been hit by a drink driver.

A senior consultant informs you that your loved is on a machine having sufferd brain damage and is not likely to pull through as their injuries are too severe. You are then informed the drink driver who killed your loved one is upstairs in intensive care in urgent need of a new heart and lung and your loved one who is a regesterd organ donor happens to be a perfect match. Your loved one's private health insurance entitles them to 72 hours of intensive treatment but th consultant tells you the driver won't survive 24 hours without the surgery and you can help him/her by agreeing to sign a consent form that allows them to turn off your loved one's machine now.

What would you do?

I would do it.

I would let the drunk driver have the lung and the heart.

that way, every time his heart beat, and every time he drew breath, he would remember what he had done.

Edgar Alan Poe's 'Tell Tale Heart' in the most extreme. :twisted:

A sentence he could not be released early from.

It is grim, sorry.

I'm really not sure what I'd do. I know I wouldn't want to carry the guilt for the drivers death if I was able to save him/her but didn't. But equally, I woulnd't want to deprive my loved one of the 72 hours either. It's a tough one.

I would make sure my loved one had their chance at life, and then after the 72 hours, if there was definitely no chance what so ever, I would sign for the organs to be donated to who ever was in need of them at that time. If the drunk driver was still around by then, and was a match, then so be it.

Archived