Help needed for tinnitus

Quote from an article in New Scientist -

"Nobody knows what causes tinnitus or how to treat it effectively"

Oh dear. There's perhaps less that can be done than I thought.

I definately think it's partly psychosomatic (not that that makes it any easier to live with!)

But as I said, when I first noticed it, it really scared me and seemed awful. Such a horrible thought that you'll never hear silence again. But I found that it seemed to fade after I got used to it and now most days it's hardly noticeable.

Do make sure you're not doing anything to make it worse though, like loud ipod/phone, lots of gigs/clubs. If you like to do those things accept that you'll need to wear earplugs to stop things getting worse

At the time i started with it (2yrs ago) there was nothing that i could say "yeah, that caused it", also ive found that it gets worse with stress and at the moment my life is just filled with stress, i suffer from depression also & its not making that any better. The noise i get isnt like high pitched whistling or hissing its more like whooshing, like i can hear the blood pumping around my head.

Sorry, dont know if this is the right section to have this, but im getting desperate. :help:

Does anyone here suffer from tinnitus?

If so can you control it to make a more bearable? if you can what do you do?

I actually diagnosed this myself as my doctor at the time said i had a cold, over 2 yrs later i still have it, my dr now agrees that this is what i have and thats where it ends, ive not really had any advice or help.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sam-hi!... I suffer very badly from tinnitus and you have my sympathies...Iv'e had it for 3 years and as you obviously know ..it's 24/7. The place I would recommend is 'Hearing and tinnitus services Ltd' It's in Watsons chambers, Market place , Castle square. I don't think I'm allowed to give phone numbers on SF but they can be found under 'hearing' in Yellow pages.I've done a lot of research on the subject for myself... unfortunately there's no cure for it at the mo but a lot of research going on. I bought some hearing aids off this establishment and they've changed my life (£3 000 though but you can get cheaper ones) I also listen to music all the time (not loud) through an MP3 and this also helps. It's possible your tinnitus may go away by itself at some point... google it...I wish you all the best :)

Sam-hi!... I suffer very badly from tinnitus and you have my sympathies...Iv'e had it for 3 years and as you obviously know ..it's 24/7. The place I would recommend is 'Hearing and tinnitus services Ltd' It's in Watsons chambers, Market place , Castle square. I don't think I'm allowed to give phone numbers on SF but they can be found under 'hearing' in Yellow pages.I've done a lot of research on the subject for myself... unfortunately there's no cure for it at the mo but a lot of research going on. I bought some hearing aids off this establishment and they've changed my life (£3 000 though but you can get cheaper ones) I also listen to music all the time (not loud) through an MP3 and this also helps. It's possible your tinnitus may go away by itself at some point... google it...I wish you all the best :)

Thanks Alcoblog, for ages ive felt like im the only one. The sooner they get a cure the better lol.

At the time i started with it (2yrs ago) there was nothing that i could say "yeah, that caused it", also ive found that it gets worse with stress and at the moment my life is just filled with stress, i suffer from depression also & its not making that any better. The noise i get isnt like high pitched whistling or hissing its more like whooshing, like i can hear the blood pumping around my head.

Ok, something you said is ringing a faint bell somewhere in me (oh god, just realised thats a poor choice of words but you get what I mean)

I have a vague recollection of a condition that is not tinnitus but is often misdiagnosed as tinnitus, I recall that it has been fixed in people by using a tiny amount of bluetack. I cannot for the ife of me remember any more details than that, except that it was characterised by a persistent whooshing and is actually caused by you hearing your own blood flow, rather than the ringing of tinnitus.

I will go and rack my brains - does anyone else have any idea what I am talking about???

• 1 month later...
Ok, something you said is ringing a faint bell somewhere in me (oh god, just realised thats a poor choice of words but you get what I mean)

I have a vague recollection of a condition that is not tinnitus but is often misdiagnosed as tinnitus, I recall that it has been fixed in people by using a tiny amount of bluetack. I cannot for the ife of me remember any more details than that, except that it was characterised by a persistent whooshing and is actually caused by you hearing your own blood flow, rather than the ringing of tinnitus.

I will go and rack my brains - does anyone else have any idea what I am talking about???

If you remember do let me know, thanks.

Archived