Help needed for tinnitus

Sorry, dont know if this is the right section to have this, but im getting desperate. :help:

Does anyone here suffer from tinnitus?

If so can you control it to make a more bearable? if you can what do you do?

I actually diagnosed this myself as my doctor at the time said i had a cold, over 2 yrs later i still have it, my dr now agrees that this is what i have and thats where it ends, ive not really had any advice or help.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you x

One thing to avoid is caffeine which really aggravates it. It can also be caused by stress. Unfortunately in most cases the condition is permanent. That's what the doc told me when I was first diagnosed

• 1 year later...

Is it a new thing with you? My tinnitus started around 8 months ago and I've gradually got used to it. It's still there if I listen for it, but days go by without me noticing it now.

As far as I know there is no cure, and 'treatment' mainly focusses on helping you to ignore it. Saying that, you should still maybe go to your GP and get a referral. I had a lecture from one of the chief audiologist at the Hallamshire a while back and he said they welcome seeing people with tinnitus because there are usually things they can do to help. You may struggle to get your GP to agree.

I have mild tinnitus in both ears due to machinery noise, only really a problem at night when its quiet. My cousin committed suicide last year because the medication he was taking for CFS caused terrible tinnitus, at the time nobody pinned it down to the tablets.

It was literally the noise in his ears that pushed him over the edge.

Depends what's causing it. If it's mild tinnitus caused by exposure to loud noises, then it might fade if you look after your ears & avoid noisy environments. Mine started years ago from too much partying, I don't notice it now unless I'm in a very quiet room & listening for it. It comes back after a night out & it's noticeable again for a week or two after that.

Drugs or infections can cause it too, if it's one of those then it should stop once you come off the drugs or the infection is cleared.

There is no cure. Background noise can cover it up. White noise, like the fan noise from my desktop computer totally covers it for me. Background music, TV, or something like that can help too, just make sure it's not too loud & making it worse.

ive got bad ringing and deafness in 1 ear due to an infection, which the doctor described as the most badly damaged ear he'd ever seen.

he didnt give me anything for in though and ive had it for a week now so i hope it goes away so its doing my head in!!!

i've had it for about 25yrs now and seen many different doctors about it,unfortunatly not much can be done,know this is not what you want to hear right now but you do kind of get used to it,still somedays now it gets a bit annoying for me,but most of the time i don't notice it.

Archived