Reaney Surname origin

Hi just thought I'd have a look on 1841 census for Sheffield, purely as its the earliest census available. There are quite a lot of REANEYS listed but their places of birth are predominantly Yorkshire. Except one family whose origin is

Ireland. They lived Strafforth/Tickhill area. No exact address I'm afraid. The

1841 census is very limited. A lot of Irish REANEYS seemed to have moved to

Derbyshire and Lancashire at that time.

Yes, thanks for the reply.

I really think they are separate as there are too many records going prior to the 1700s when the Irish started to move in higher numbers to England.

Hi

I have done quite a bit of research on the Reaney families in Sheffield. Like you I had heard (and hoped for) an Ireland/Meath connection, but traced my line of the family back to a John Rayney, born circa1600 in Barlow, Derbyshire, just a few miles from Sheffield. The family over the generations moved inwards to Sheffield, going from farming to blacksmithing to general metal trades.I could find no Irish connection at all.

Sorry to disappoint you!

Much of the information I have came via a link to "Youle and related families of Sheffield"on Rootsweb.com or Ancestry.com if you want to verify this.

Hi

I do wonder where they come up with some of the origins, I've dug dep with the help of other Reaneys and a lot of what the books says seems to be inaccurate.

I have seen this John Rayney a lot on my research, he seems to be the only one that has clear connections to modern families..

Archived