GMO Food is killing us!

That's interesting news.

I must be psychic then, because I banned the use of Roundup on public health grounds in the Council's Parks and Gardens Department in ......1985!

That is 26 years ago! :roll:

John X

Before you get all 'I told you so' you might want to take a look at this series of posts:
Well it's not a very good [method of population control] as it seems to be teratogenic rather than lethal!

Less obvious then isn't it.

Do you know what teratogenic means?

Specifically, it means that a substance is harmful if ingested by the foetus.

How many expectant mothers do you know who make a habit of injecting their own unborn babies with weedkiller? If you do know any, you should warn them that it can be dangerous. Otherwise, this thread is devoid of content.

I think it's good that Monsanto can sue farmers for patent infringement when their plants are successfully fertilised by Monsanto GMO pollen, emanating from adjacent fields.

In fact, the idea of being able to slap intellectual property rights onto naturally occurring genetic code, and on every chunk of genetic material derived from it, is such an obviously good idea, with no possible bad consequences, I simply cannot believe any sane person would object.

In 1995 the Árpád Puzstai began research on genetically modified potatoes containing the GNA lectin gene from the snowdrop plant.[2] His group fed rats on raw and cooked genetically modified potatoes, using Desiree Red potatoes as controls. In 1998 Árpád Puzstai said in an interview on a World in Action programme that his group had observed damage to the intestines and immune systems of rats fed the genetically modified potatoes. He also said "If I had the choice I would certainly not eat it", and that "I find it's very unfair to use our fellow citizens as guinea pigs".

Everyone enjoys a bit of mass hysteria but it usually means that important things tend to get overlooked. In this case it was the the fact that lectin's tend to be rather toxic. I also seem to recall there were some observations that the diet provided to these rats was not particularly well balanced.

All he really demonstrated was that malnourished rats do not thrive when fed something toxic. Hardly the discovery of the century and certainly not worth the hysteria that followed.

Archived