Overnight trouble in Bristol

on minimum wage now mate......and still out enjoying myself.....lifes too short...anyway only a couple of years to go....then sell the house....that the council gave me....and retire....happy days....thanks for the concern...:hihi::hihi:

Still shaking head and sighing but enjoy your retirement anyhow, I guess we'll never agree but can't fault your life's for living attitude all the same:hihi::hihi:

Still shaking head and sighing but enjoy your retirement anyhow, I guess we'll never agree but can't fault your life's for living attitude all the same:hihi::hihi:

think being a punk back in the day...gave me this live for today attitude....if you can't beat them.....join them....happy days....

Those of us who work for ourselves, mostly happily work for less than minimum wage provided we don't have to take orders from the Man ... that's why they call us independents ... ;)

Those of us who work for ourselves, mostly happily work for less than minimum wage provided we don't have to take orders from the Man ... that's why they call us independents ... ;)

I know I had a bloody business until the building industry stopped when it was discovered the bankers left to their own devices had shafted us all.

Interesting article:

Bristol City council must support the community and reject Tesco

Thousands have been campaigning for more than a year to stop Tesco opening in Stokes Croft, Bristol. The reasons for not wanting a Tesco in our community range from the impact on local shops and farmers through to deep concerns that the dominance of the supermarket model creates a risk of us not being able to feed ourselves in a future when oil prices soar. More than 2,500 petition cards were sent to Bristol City Council objecting to Tesco and 96% of the 700 people surveyed said they didn't want another supermarket.

We have painstakingly played it by the rules, coming up with a multitude of creative ways to make it clear how unwanted this development is and that it goes against everything our community stands for. We have fought Tesco through the planning system, making an overwhelmingly strong case, backed by lawyers. Our objections clearly outlined how opening this Tesco store would pose a threat to public safety. But at a packed planning committee meeting it became astonishingly clear that the council were too fearful of the financial implications to refuse Tesco permission to go ahead. Our community is well known for having people who, if they are silenced, will act in a way that will ensure they will be heard.

The rioting in Stokes Croft last night is the result of a community being entirely ignored – there are people who are more than willing to break the law to remain true to what they believe.

Earlier this year, Bristol City council announced cuts of £28m and the loss of 340 jobs. Is Tesco in a position to ignore the rising costs of policing their new store when last night's events involved the cost of three regional police forces and subsequent repair of damage?

I was in Stokes Croft last night and was truly overwhelmed by the vast police presence and number of people. Feeling threatened in my own community is upsetting but the truth is people feel completely disempowered, and for some resorting to last night's actions seems the only way people will listen.

I will never condone violence and smashing up Tesco is not my approach but I am clear that the damage caused to Tesco's property last night is relatively insignificant compared to the damage Tesco has been able to inflict on this community.

Bristol City council has a clear choice now: continue to let Tesco trade and risk last night becoming a regular occurrence or support the community it is supposed to represent and tell Tesco to leave.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/22/bristol-riot-tesco

Interesting article:

Bristol City council must support the community and reject Tesco

Thousands have been campaigning for more than a year to stop Tesco opening in Stokes Croft, Bristol. The reasons for not wanting a Tesco in our community range from the impact on local shops and farmers through to deep concerns that the dominance of the supermarket model creates a risk of us not being able to feed ourselves in a future when oil prices soar. More than 2,500 petition cards were sent to Bristol City Council objecting to Tesco and 96% of the 700 people surveyed said they didn't want another supermarket.

We have painstakingly played it by the rules, coming up with a multitude of creative ways to make it clear how unwanted this development is and that it goes against everything our community stands for. We have fought Tesco through the planning system, making an overwhelmingly strong case, backed by lawyers. Our objections clearly outlined how opening this Tesco store would pose a threat to public safety. But at a packed planning committee meeting it became astonishingly clear that the council were too fearful of the financial implications to refuse Tesco permission to go ahead. Our community is well known for having people who, if they are silenced, will act in a way that will ensure they will be heard.

The rioting in Stokes Croft last night is the result of a community being entirely ignored – there are people who are more than willing to break the law to remain true to what they believe.

Earlier this year, Bristol City council announced cuts of £28m and the loss of 340 jobs. Is Tesco in a position to ignore the rising costs of policing their new store when last night's events involved the cost of three regional police forces and subsequent repair of damage?

I was in Stokes Croft last night and was truly overwhelmed by the vast police presence and number of people. Feeling threatened in my own community is upsetting but the truth is people feel completely disempowered, and for some resorting to last night's actions seems the only way people will listen.

I will never condone violence and smashing up Tesco is not my approach but I am clear that the damage caused to Tesco's property last night is relatively insignificant compared to the damage Tesco has been able to inflict on this community.

Bristol City council has a clear choice now: continue to let Tesco trade and risk last night becoming a regular occurrence or support the community it is supposed to represent and tell Tesco to leave.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/22/bristol-riot-tesco

It's good to see people breaking the law when the evil regime does not listen to the people. The police should stand back and tell there superiors they are not prepared to attack citizens with legitimate grievance against the regime.

just been discussing this on another forum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13167041

and just seen it on the sky news channel.

some facts that stuck out from the sky report

8 police injured

160 police in full riot gear sent to arrest 4 people

300 people gathered to protest

8 arrests

seems a bit strange tbh, that many police for that few people, and that small amount of arrests for so many protestors that WAS a riot situation.

apparently the police moved in to arrest because they had information the neighboring tesco store was going to be petrol bombed

apparently in the end it WAS set a light lol, so the police action was a success YAAAY!!

its on the border of St Pauls...nothing new there then,it seems the police went in lightweight for a change 300 people, pfft, a street party for that area

It's good to see people breaking the law when the evil regime does not listen to the people. The police should stand back and tell there superiors they are not prepared to attack citizens with legitimate grievance against the regime.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION,

raise the banner, the banner of black

Archived