Checking babies blood groups at birth?

Do hospitals check a baby's blood group when they're born?

Was watching a soap last week and they knew that the baby which had been swapped wasn't the same one that the woman gave birth to because his blood group was different.

I didn't think they did but my youngest is 6 so things could have changed since then.

Just wondering really as my son (who's 9) is interested in what his blood group is.

Do hospitals check a baby's blood group when they're born?

Was watching a soap last week and they knew that the baby which had been swapped wasn't the same one that the woman gave birth to because his blood group was different.

I didn't think they did but my youngest is 6 so things could have changed since then.

Just wondering really as my son (who's 9) is interested in what his blood group is.

I had my blood group checked before giving birth. Afterwards they took a blood sample from my baby when she was a few days old. It was just a small amount taken from her heel and was used to check for enzyme deficiencies, thyroid deficiency, sickle cell disorders, cystic fibrosis and MCADD. I don't know if they routinely check for blood group, but I asked and they told me what it was anyhow.

All pregnant women are tested for their blood group during pregnancy in case they haemorrhage during labour and need an emergency blood transfusion.

Babies aren't routinely tested unless, as has already been mentioned, there is a rhesus issue.

May be wrong but I always thought a baby's blood group was same has its mothers after all its her blood via the placenta flowing through baby's veins

It's the mixing of the different bloods that causes the effects of Rhesus:-

My mother was A- Rhesus negative. My father was O- Rhesus positive.

My sisters and I are all three A- positive.

We inherited mum's Group, but our father's Rhesus factor.

My mother had to have anti-d after giving birth to my sister as there was a reaction because I, as the first baby, had triggered the antibodies in my mother which "attacked" her further babies.

May be wrong but I always thought a baby's blood group was same has its mothers after all its her blood via the placenta flowing through baby's veins

Blood type is genetically coded for so is dependant on the mother's and fathers genetic codings for blood type. The mother's and foetus' blood doesn't actually mix or flow 'through' the placenta - just nutrients and gases diffuse through the membranes.

Thanks for your replies. It seems then that's it's not checked routinely but when there might be a problem.

Oh well never mind although with mine being the commonest (O positive) it's quite possible that my son's is the same anyway!

Thanks for your replies. It seems then that's it's not checked routinely but when there might be a problem.

Oh well never mind although with mine being the commonest (O positive) it's quite possible that my son's is the same anyway!

If he chooses to donate blood when he is 18 he will find out his blood group.:)

Archived