Checking babies blood groups at birth?

My wife has Rhesus-Negative blood, so she was given an 'anti D' shot after our son was born (He's AD+) and the hospital took a drop of blood from his foot after birth.. They told me (and that was nearly 26 years ago) that they tested the blood of ALL newborn children.

They also took his footprint (his fingers were a bit small ;)), put a copy in their file, gave me a copy and tagged him (before I took him to the newborn nursery.)

My wife has Rhesus-Negative blood, so she was given an 'anti D' shot after our son was born (He's AD+) and the hospital took a drop of blood from his foot after birth.. They told me (and that was nearly 26 years ago) that they tested the blood of ALL newborn children.

They also took his footprint (his fingers were a bit small ;)), put a copy in their file, gave me a copy and tagged him (before I took him to the newborn nursery.)

I think the baby's blood is tested routinely for a condition called PKU (Phenylketonuria)

Actually with my second daughter i remember them giving me antiD and doing the heel prick test on her routinely, and the nurse then whispered "Baby is rhesus negative". So they must check the group but not record it anywhere, unless its only because of my rhesus group. They didnt do it with my first though.

Actually with my second daughter i remember them giving me antiD and doing the heel prick test on her routinely, and the nurse then whispered "Baby is rhesus negative". So they must check the group but not record it anywhere, unless its only because of my rhesus group. They didnt do it with my first though.

I think that if the mother is rhesus negative then the babies blood is checked - but this isn't done routinely with all new borns.

I think that if the mother is rhesus negative then the babies blood is checked - but this isn't done routinely with all new borns.

Correct. If Mum is rhesus negatve they take blood from the umbilical cord, which tells them the baby's blood group and whether the mum needs some anti D or not.

Archived