Landlords should have their benefits cut. Abolish housing benefit

The only maximum i can think off the top of my head is the £600 for a four bed house, which you may or may not get depending on who lives there. Would think you need at least 5 or 6 children to qualify. This maximum is they very maximum benefit paid in sheffield, and applies to anything above a four bed, 5, 6, 7 bedrooms, and they won't pay anything over £600 in benefit. If you don't have the occupants to qualify, they won't ay anything near this.

Or 4 bed house let as HMO at £60 per week (260/month) per room.

Rental yield = £1040 if fully let.

and remember that shared room rate will soon be the rate of housing benefit for under 35s, not under 25s.

Just read that they've changed things so 3 in 10 houses are affordable to unemployed rather than the 5 in 10 that are now. Im sure that will help out the already poor people immensely!!

It's all about maximizing profits for landlords and housing benefit is the tool.

I keep trying to raise the issue, as it should concern everybody. Especially working and middle (working) class people (99%+ of Sheffield).

I think a couple of the maximum rates for 2 and 3 bed houses have dropped since i last looked at them, so they are making it harder for most small families on benefits to afford their homes?

HMOs have become far more profitable, and a large chunk of the population (under 35s), are being set up to live in them.

Permission to convert a property into a HMO is no longer required, as it was last year.

Rent's are then designed to rise YoY over and above inflation.

You wages will go up below inflation, whilst your rent increases by more than inflation.

This is a massive systemic theft from the working poor.

We should be building family homes for families.

You wages will go up below inflation, whilst your rent increases by more than inflation.

thats NOTHING to do with housing benefit, thats the system we live in......EVERYTHING apart from pay is going up

it stinks

thats NOTHING to do with housing benefit, thats the system we live in......EVERYTHING apart from pay is going up

it stinks

Housing benefit will go up with council rents, that will push up rents in the private sector.

It is designed this way!

That's the problem.

Pay will soon have to rise due to demographics.

Housing benefit will be used to claw it back for the rentier parasites.

I used to rent out a couple of houses so I am one of the parasites. Let me think am I super rich? er no. Am I just rich? er again no.

Now lets look at the real world.

As a landlord I had a rent which is determined by the market. Would I have liked more, well yes I would but I got what people would pay. From that rent I had to pay my mortgage, water rates, insurances and all the stuff that Chemist perhaps doesn't understand like new rooves, rooms re-plastered, new windows, painting, washing machines, fridge freezers etc. So that left me hopefully with a profit. Yes I can offset most of those things against income except the capital mortgage repayment. And then the guys from HMRC asked me to fill in one of their nice forms each year and taxed me on any profit that I made. It got to a state that It was more hassle than it was worth so I sold one. Did I make a huge profit? not really but once again the men from HMRC asked me to fill in one of their nice forms and charged me Capital Gains tax.

One thing I would never do was accept people on HB. Far too much hassle.

I never set out to be a landlord, just bought a couple of places for my kids to live in whilst they were at university.

To deal with another myth, new houses don't always mean better living conditions.

As I think I have said on this forum before, I was working in Sheffield when they built Batemoor and Jordanthorpe. Got called to a house to sort out a problem and I was nearly sick with the stench and the filth inside that house which was a few months old.

A waste of a good house. You can give some people a new house but you can't educate them to respect it or look after it.

I used to rent out a couple of houses so I am one of the parasites. Let me think am I super rich? er no. Am I just rich? er again no.

As a landlord I had a rent which is determined by the market. Would I have liked more, well yes I would but I got what people would pay. From that rent I had to pay my mortgage, water rates, insurances and all the stuff that Chemist perhaps doesn't understand like new rooves, rooms re-plastered, new windows, painting, washing machines, fridge freezers etc. So that left me hopefully with a profit. Yes I can offset most of those things against income except the capital mortgage repayment. And then the guys from HMRC asked me to fill in one of their nice forms each year and taxed me on any profit that I made. It got to a state that It was more hassle than it was worth so I sold one. Did I make a huge profit? not really but once again the men from HMRC asked me to fill in one of their nice forms and charged me Capital Gains tax.

I never set out to be a landlord, just bought a couple of places for my kids to live in whilst they were at university.

To deal with another myth, new houses don't always mean better living conditions.

As I think I have said on this forum before, I was working in Sheffield when they built Batemoor and Jordanthorpe. Got called to a house to sort out a problem and I was nearly sick with the stench and the filth inside that house which was a few months old.

A waste of a good house. You can give some people a new house but you can't educate them to respect it or look after it.

I agree me and my oh bought a couple of houses about 10 yrs ago that nobody wanted they had been empty for years spent loads doing them up.

We have had nothing but hassle with tennants not paying rent, trashing the place, one actually just ripped the washing machine out leaving water to flood the whole kitchen.

The rent is set by the local authority so we get very minimum amounts, out of that you have all the insurance, gas checks, any repairs which by the way seem to be much more than we ever spend on our own house. Carpets etc and then at the end of the year the taxman takes their share. Its hardly worth it, we keep them as we hope to sell them to pay for our daughter to go to uni.

I hardly think this classes us as parasites so I think some people need a reality check.

Should stick to the 9-5 ey.

If it had anything to do with me, your property would have plummeted in value and you'd have lost money.

I value council housing for all, not profits for the few.

Archived