Landlords should have their benefits cut. Abolish housing benefit

I agree me and my oh bought a couple of houses about 10 yrs ago that nobody wanted they had been empty for years spent loads doing them up.

We have had nothing but hassle with tennants not paying rent, trashing the place, one actually just ripped the washing machine out leaving water to flood the whole kitchen.

The rent is set by the local authority so we get very minimum amounts, out of that you have all the insurance, gas checks, any repairs which by the way seem to be much more than we ever spend on our own house. Carpets etc and then at the end of the year the taxman takes their share. Its hardly worth it, we keep them as we hope to sell them to pay for our daughter to go to uni.

I hardly think this classes us as parasites so I think some people need a reality check.

Leave social housing up to the council. You were using the tenants to pay the mortgage for you. As if they give a toss about the property. You want ownership of multiple properties, live in them!

Your depriving others of their own homes.

To send your daughter to uni on the cheap. Whats she going to do, rent some house of some parasitic landlord. Whatever you do, don't lament her housing status as your a part of the problem.

You reckon

I've had the same landlord for 15 years. As L/Ls go he's a decent sort. I had no problem moving in when I was unemployed and claiming H/B.

He won't take benefit claimants now. It's too much hassle. He prefers people who will pay regularly.

I don't think benefit claimants are at all a "cash cow"

Should stick to the 9-5 ey.

If it had anything to do with me, your property would have plummeted in value and you'd have lost money.

I value council housing for all, not profits for the few.

Oh for a 9-5 job. At the time I had the houses I seem to remember being out of the house most days before 7 and usually arriving home about 7.30 at night. Why, to look after myself and family.

Oh for a 9-5 job. At the time I had the houses I seem to remember being out of the house most days before 7 and usually arriving home about 7.30 at night. Why, to look after myself and family.

Why isn't that enough?

An honest living, it is very good.

Nobody is going to buy you a house, it defeats the purpose of earning your own keep to raise your own family.

Perhaps with housing benefit it has been an easy option, but it will soon bloody end.

The working man will pay his own mortgage, not that of another.

And those that can't work should be housed by the state.

Leave social housing up to the council. You were using the tenants to pay the mortgage for you. As if they give a toss about the property. You want ownership of multiple properties, live in them!

Your depriving others of their own homes.

To send your daughter to uni on the cheap. Whats she going to do, rent some house of some parasitic landlord. Whatever you do, don't lament her housing status as your a part of the problem.

Sorry to dissapoint you but we saved up our earnings to buy these houses so no the tennants are not paying the mortgage they are paying to have a roof over their heads and repairs done to the house that they dont have to pay for.

Also lots of tennants pay their own rent as surprise surprise they work, so no one forces them to rent our houses.

I dont mind if my daughter rents, I have no problem with that as unlike you i have no jealous hatred of landlords.

And those that can't work should be housed by the state.

Ermmmm they are being housed by the state - that's what housing benefit pays for. There's no way around paying private landlords for rent unless you can magic up a few million new social houses around the country overnight?

Sorry to dissapoint you but we saved up our earnings to buy these houses so no the tennants are not paying the mortgage they are paying to have a roof over their heads and repairs done to the house that they dont have to pay for.

Also lots of tennants pay their own rent as surprise surprise they work, so no one forces them to rent our houses.

I dont mind if my daughter rents, I have no problem with that as unlike you i have no jealous hatred of landlords.

If you bought with hard earned money, I'm not so much against you. Just the massive advantage given to you via the housing benefit landlord subsidy.

Housing benefit prices people out of working, workers out of home ownership and gives landlords an unearned income.

If it was abolished you would then earn a fair rent, and I'd have no ill feelings towards you. But with housing benefit at play its classwar.

Ermmmm they are being housed by the state - that's what housing benefit pays for. There's no way around paying private landlords for rent unless you can magic up a few million new social houses around the country overnight?

We build, we build quickly, modular homes at low cost. 4 million, 2 years, no problem. The technology, resources and supply of labour is available.

We build, we build quickly, modular homes at low cost. 4 million, 2 years, no problem. The technology, resources and supply of labour is available.

And in the intervening two years what would you do? And how would you pay for the 4 million homes, assuming that is even enough? And where would you put them? And how would you ensure that you aren't building a new batch of sink-hole estates that no-one actually wants to live in? Would you put the houses where there are jobs but little to no affordable housing (which pretty much means the already over-crowded southeast) or where there is a population that rents but no jobs to ever get them out of the rental trap? What about villages where locals are frequently priced out of the housing market? How would you stop people moving into these houses then using the right to buy to take them out of the pool of social housing?

You have to take into account the spenind power of people who earn the minmim wage, so we will do this now.....

£5.93 x 35 hours = £207.55 a week ( people in these jobs tend not to get paid lunch breaks)

Tax at roughly 20% = £40 a week

So £207.55 - £40 = £167 a week.

So lets say if 90% of their net income is spent on rent and council tax (this does not take into account food, gas electric, bus fares or running a car).......the realistically 90% of £167 = £150 a week

This leave the worker with £17 to get to work, pay other bills and feed themselves etc......

Clearly, with these figures in mind, it is not realistc.

Also, the people who do the most essential work in our society (shelf stackers, warehouse people, till operators etc....) often work for the minimum wage, and so these people are in effect priced out of the housing market, either renting or mortageing

the choice

1. to support the workers in our society
  2. to support the spongers

If I was in government, and I had a choice of who I was going to price out of the housing market, I would not choose the worker....why???

Because, if people chose not to work, and to sponge, then who is going to fill the supermarket shelves, who will work in the warehouses, who will work on thr production lines in the factorys?

Archived