Le nouveau pauvre

There are 20 month a year in your calendar-clearly you do not earn £60k net pa

:loopy:In case you haven't noticed, people generally talk about gross income in the UK.

The figures I gave were what you would have if you deducted tax and ni from a £60,000 income.

The DM had an article the other day which had me in tears.

It featured a family 2+2 young ones who were having to downsize from a 4 bed house in a posh area to a 3 bed in a less salubrious area.

They were having to give up holidays, shop in Lidls instead of Waitrose and could just afford a bottle of wine now and then.

Mortgage £1000, utilities £100, CT £112, petrol £120 a month, child care £500.

All this on ONLY, YES ONLY on £60,000 a year.

Another couple were finding difficult to save for a house deposit on a combined salary of £69,000.

Makes you wonder how the other half live.

Are these people French or English or why the title in French ? :huh:

Who said it was £60K net?

It featured a family 2+2 young ones who were having to downsize from a 4 bed house in a posh area to a 3 bed in a less salubrious area.

They were having to give up holidays, shop in Lidls instead of Waitrose and could just afford a bottle of wine now and then.

:rant::help::confused:

:loopy:In case you haven't noticed, people generally talk about gross income in the UK.

The figures I gave were what you would have if you deducted tax and ni from a £60,000 income.

The ambiguity is all yours by failing to specify.At £60k pa with personal allowance of £10k,you pay taxon £50k.The first £30k at 20pc(£6000),the next £20 at 40pc(£8000) leaves£46k or about £3,800 pcm.However you have omitted child benefit and other sources of income.I do hope you are not HMRC or ATI,as it will be bad news all round.

:rant::help::confused:

I still don't see any reference to net. As shortcrust mentioned, people generally talk about gross salaries in the UK.

I still don't see any reference to net. As shortcrust mentioned, people generally talk about gross salaries in the UK.

What people do or do not do is a matter for speculation.Most people think Jesus is a christian.People believed the earth was flat. In my view my pay is net pay,gross pay is meaningless as it can be reduced by deductions such as tax and NI.

What people do or do not do is a matter for speculation.Most people think Jesus is a christian.People believed the earth was flat. In my view my pay is net pay

So your view carries the weight of law, but the majority view is just an opinion and should be ignored?

Archived