How to make a complaint about a company

I have recently bought a new suite for the living room but after a few months it decided to change colour slightly. The suite came with a 12 month warranty so i contacted the seller to inform them of this who in turn sent a pillow case off to the manufacturers to look into. They replied that its changed colour due to a chemical reaction that has been caused by cleaning the product. I have not touched either the corner sofa or the single chair so obviously there is a fault with the product. The seller states that because of what the manufacturer has said then they will not replace the suite or give me a refund. Is there anything I can do about this or report them to anyone?

Your help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Adam

You need to talk only to the retailer, your contract is with them not the people who made it. Write them a letter outlining the problem again, state the cleaning you have done (e.g. only dry hoover) and ask what they propose to do under the sale of goods act (consumer direct website has more details) as you believe it is not fit for purpose. Send it registered post so you can prove it arrives.

If they ignore this do the same again threatening small claims court action and if necessary follow it through with this.

Is the product under or over 6 months from purchase. The course of action changes at this point as burden of proof switches from supplier to purchaser.

If it's under 6 months, the supplier need to prove that you have used an incorrect cleaning product. I think more evidence than 'the manufacturer says' will be required.

If it's over 6 months, you will need to prove that you haven't used an incorrect cleaning material, probably by getting the opinion of an independent expert.

Thanks for all your responses peeps its appreciated. The furniture was only 3 months old when I reported it so I dont really see how they have got a leg to stand on. The colour has changed from a black leather effect look to a gold colour so really looks out of place. Im just trying to decide now how to contact the seller and how to word stuff before I mention taking them to court :/

Thanks again,

Regards

Adam

Archived