Dubai .Why the hell would you go there

Labourers / Maids / taxi drivers are all sending money back home to support their families in their respective countries (Phillipines, Pakistan , India, Nepal)

The biggest economy in the phillipines is people sending money back home from the Middle East.

There are people who get their passport taken off them and cant get out, but there are also many who are free to do what they want.

Its not all bad, I talk to them everyday and work with many, they work long hours, live in average conditions, but they are doing for their families.

I was talking to a young girl from the Phillipines last year, she worked as a nanny in Dubai for a Muslim family. she said she was treaded like dirt by her employees, she learned after a while that only Brits or Americans were welcome there...how true ? I wouldn't know.

Hoe dare you call me a SUN reader.I am mortified.

By the way I said trilling not trolling.

I presume you did not read the article otherwise you would have been aware it was no a Sun article.

Good, maybe it will shock some sense into you. Your rant in the OP about the 'bestial' behaviour of the police was printed in the Sun, a friend forwarded me the article to make sure I was being careful. :)

I am aware of the word you put, I assumed it was a mistake on your part, if not you can have my apologies.

I did read the 'article'. It was interesting but not indicative of every person in Dubai. Some are unfortunate and fall on hard times, it happens in every place in the world. To single out Dubai as some sort of all encompassing bad place is entirely wrong. What do you think the cockle pickers who drowned a few years ago were doing? Fishing for fun with the tide coming in? They were being abused after being imported cheaply and having their passports taken away. The sex industry in the UK is as bad as it is in Dubai with illegal imports and such.

There are bad stories everywhere, you have to take each one on its own merits. While I feel sorry for the people in the stories of the article, there are many more who do come here and make a success of things, from many nationalities.

How anybody would consider going to Dubai for a holiday is beyond me.

This is a place of amazing cruelty and treat our citizens with contempt even resorting to bestial violence and murder as has happened recently.

A place for the trashy nouveau rich to display their wealth but they would think again if they ever got involved with their police.

Dubai treats everyone with contempt but the worst treatment is handed out to the poor who have actually built the city so that the rich can enjoy it.

I think our citizens have been treated more favourably than they should have been. Before the recession people in the UK had been getting jobs in Dubai just on the basis of their western background and not on their ability. So what you had was a lot of useless people who couldn't make it in the UK getting jobs in Dubai. Since the recession this has changed and they're getting kicked out which is a very good thing. Now only the people that deserve to be there are left.

Dubai treats everyone with contempt but the worst treatment is handed out to the poor who have actually built the city so that the rich can enjoy it.

I think our citizens have been treated more favourably than they should have been. Before the recession people in the UK had been getting jobs in Dubai just on the basis of their western background and not on their ability. So what you had was a lot of useless people who couldn't make it in the UK getting jobs in Dubai. Since the recession this has changed and they're getting kicked out which is a very good thing. Now only the people that deserve to be there are left.

sadly weve got em all back :(

eh??

id prefer oz cos i know they speak a sort of english :P

Just asking again -

as i keep saying, the hundreds / thousands of brits that go on holiday and do not encounter problems are testement to that

Repeating it doesn't make it true.

Happy holidaymakers and repressive regimes are not mutually exclusive.

You could have had a bonzer holiday in SA during apartheid - would you have taken it? Or would you have chosen somewhere else with similar features and a less racist government?

Or would you simply have thought "it's no different from Australia, everywhere has problems"?

Just asking again -

Phanerothyme, just checking as I'm really not sure...

Are you saying its not OK to go to South Afica (in the past) due to the apartheid regime, which was very racist, but it is OK to go to Australia as they were only slightly racist to the aborigines?

Archived