Suspended From work

Don't resign your job or you maybe not be able to claim benefits, if they sack you you could claim unfair dismissal, think hard about what your future may be, get another job and then her to stuff herself.

Thank you Aries, the problem with that is the reference for new Job!

Thank you Aries, the problem with that is the reference for new Job!

Does anyone know what kind of information is asked of on a reference?

Do they have to give someone a reference by law?

Anyone on here ever been asked by another company to provide details on a potential job-candidate? What kinda questions do they ask?

Does anyone know what kind of information is asked of on a reference?

Do they have to give someone a reference by law?

Anyone on here ever been asked by another company to provide details on a potential job-candidate? What kinda questions do they ask?

I've complete references for people, but a long time ago. They tended to ask about their duties in the job, their performance, number of sick days, and reason for leaving. Also questions like "would you hire them again" and "would you recommend them".

You don't have to give a reference, and despite what people say, companies can give 'bad' references as long as they're factual.

Anyone worth their salt would decline to give a reference rather than give a bad one.

Completely agree, but the end result if probably the same either way.

I only mentioned it because it's a common misconception that it's against the law to give a 'bad' reference.

Can I use a separate incident which occured about 6 months ago, where 2 of my colleagues had a physical fight and none was suspended, let alone dismissed! (I separated the 2, and calmed the situation back then)? would this help my case in terms of questioning the integrity and the impartiality of the Manager, could it be possible that this amounts to discrimination (as in some Employees are treated harsher than others).

I read that a fight is more serious misconduct!

You need professional help. Are you in a union? Have you contacted ACAS/Citizens Advice? Even if you're not in a union, you could contact one, and ask if they know anyone who would take your case on, might be able to assist, privately.

You need a represenative to be with you at any meetings with work. You need to make sure you get your story across in a professional manner. You need to be a part of a negotiating process and have someone represent you in this.

If the union can recommend someone, who would do it for a one-off cash fee, then it would be money well-spent, in my opinion.

If the worse come to the worse, you could agree to sell your soul to the devil not take further personal legal action against the company in return for an agreed reference - but get a professional to check the reference for you.

Archived