Suspended From work

I've complete references for people, but a long time ago. They tended to ask about their duties in the job, their performance, number of sick days, and reason for leaving. Also questions like "would you hire them again" and "would you recommend them".

You don't have to give a reference, and despite what people say, companies can give 'bad' references as long as they're factual.

Thanks for that!

So if i applied to work for another company,and they have recieved a reference from my firm,but i don't get the job.Am i entitled to request from them the information my firm has supplied? Or would they refuse?

Anyone worth their salt would decline to give a reference rather than give a bad one.

If an employer agrees to give a reference (which they don't have to do) it must be truthful in case it comes back to haunt them in the form of a future employer suing for a misleading reference.

But to be honest if a company refuses to give a reference it often looks worse than if they gave a bad one. Folks imagine all sorts of things. Also in practice many personel managers know their counterpoints at other companies and will pass on facts as they expect the same in return.

Thanks for that!

So if i applied to work for another company,and they have recieved a reference from my firm,but i don't get the job.Am i entitled to request from them the information my firm has supplied? Or would they refuse?

I guess you would be entitled to see it under Data Protection if nothing else (am I right?!) but that's a bit extreme!! I would imagine that most companies would be happy to send a copy to you when they contact the prospective employer. And asking for a copy might result in a nicer reference!:D

No backbone. Id just simply fire you.

I think you'll find you're the spineless one. Threatening to lie about an innocent person to save your own skin and then taking their job. You evidently have no scruples. You might be male but you are not a man, sycophant is word that springs to mind:gag:

Thanks for that!

Places of employement can confirm when, where and what you did for work, but they dont have to give a reference about YOU. The last two places Ive worked for both -as company policy - dont issue personal references and will only confirmed that you have worked for them.

I wouldnt stress if you get fired.

Hi Guys, any of you could help with this please:

Can I use a separate incident which occured about 6 months ago, where 2 of my colleagues had a physical fight and none was suspended, let alone dismissed! (I separated the 2, and calmed the situation back then)? would this help my case in terms of questioning the integrity and the impartiality of the Manager, could it be possible that this amounts to discrimination (as in some Employees are treated harsher than others).

I read that a fight is more serious misconduct!

Hi Guys, any of you could help with this please:

Can I use a separate incident which occured about 6 months ago, where 2 of my colleagues had a physical fight and none was suspended, let alone dismissed! (I separated the 2, and calmed the situation back then)? would this help my case in terms of questioning the integrity and the impartiality of the Manager, could it be possible that this amounts to discrimination (as in some Employees are treated harsher than others).

I read that a fight is more serious misconduct!

I think you could use all of that if it ends up in an employment tribunal, but I really wouldn't try to use it in your disciplinary. It would make the whole thing quite confrontational and you'll probably end up looking worse than your manager. If I were you the tone I'd go for in the disciplinary would simply be professional and co-operative. Be a model employee! You're very sorry for your outburst etc etc. It was very out of character, and so on. I would also hand a written apology to your manager at the earliest opportunity. It's not sucking up. It's just playing the game.

From what you've said, if the worse happens and you get fired I think you'll have a pretty strong case to fight. Saying that, I've got to admit that everything I've said is just my take on it. I'm no expert, and I'm guessing no one else on here is either.

You need to get some professional advice.

I think you could use all of that if it ends up in an employment tribunal, but I really wouldn't try to use it in your disciplinary. It would make the whole thing quite confrontational and you'll probably end up looking worse than your manager. If I were you the tone I'd go for in the disciplinary would simply be professional and co-operative. Be a model employee! You're very sorry for your outburst etc etc. It was very out of character, and so on. I would also hand a written apology to your manager at the earliest opportunity. It's not sucking up. It's just playing the game.

From what you've said, if the worse happens and you get fired I think you'll have a pretty strong case to fight. Saying that, I've got to admit that everything I've said is just my take on it. I'm no expert, and I'm guessing no one else on here is either.

You need to get some professional advice.

Thank you Shortcrust, I do agree with your advice, I genuinely believe you are right and that is the way to go about it. But I genuinely do not feel like apologising to her personaly, I still think she started this and "use your brains" is not something I deserve from my Manager, she should know better, I can apologise in the hearing though, whether that's enough remains to be seen. I just find it hard!

Archived