Suspended From work

Investigations involving witness interviews are usually done confidentially, so if your colleagues feel the same as you and are prepared to tell the interviewer of any instances of bullying or favouritism etc. the truth will come out (and, if your company has integrity, act on it appropriately - including, in this case, not taking any severe disciplinary action against you. I say severe because, provoked or not, you can't go round swearing at your line manager, as I'm sure you're aware, so you can expect some sort of reprimand).

Hi everyone,

I was suspended from work last week on full pay while an investigation is being arranged. It was Gross-misconduct if I remember her saying.

My Manager suspended me because I reacted to her insult! I went to see her about a work related issue which she should sort out, and she was very unpleasant and said angrily "...use your brains..." I found that very insulting (as I have always been a competent person), I replied instantly without thinking and said "Do not F***ing insult me", me and her never got on well for almost 3 years I have worked for this company.

Any feedback on what do you think will come out of this would be much appreciated guys.

Without knowing the exact context of your business environment it is difficult to know where you stand. For example if swearing is commonplace then a tribunal would rule that someone dismissed for swearing was wrongfully dismissed.

However if foul and abusive language is used by an employee against his boss, particularly in circumstances where an employee is refusing to carry out a reasonable order, this has been held to justify instant dismissal. There has been one case, however, where an Employment Tribunal held that where an employee used abusive language in a sudden explosion of temper and under the influence of drink, it was unfair to dismiss that employee without first giving him the opportunity to apologise.

So I suppose it is really down to you. If you want to deny the event ever occured you will be purgering yourself if you go to a tribunal. Perhaps you should apologise to the boss and claim it as a fit of temper. It would certainly do no harm for a bit of contrition before the hearing. In the circumstances I would expect a written warning to be entered on your record and you be allowed back to work after your suspension.

Hi everyone,

I was suspended from work last week on full pay while an investigation is being arranged. It was Gross-misconduct if I remember her saying.

My Manager suspended me because I reacted to her insult! I went to see her about a work related issue which she should sort out, and she was very unpleasant and said angrily "...use your brains..." I found that very insulting (as I have always been a competent person), I replied instantly without thinking and said "Do not F***ing insult me", me and her never got on well for almost 3 years I have worked for this company.

Any feedback on what do you think will come out of this would be much appreciated guys.

I hate to be the voice of reason but you overreacted. She didn't insult you but because you plain don't like her you think she did. If anyone else said the same thing to you you probably wouldn't have reacted in the same way.

As things stand its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. She's overreacted to your overreaction or she knew what you did and you fell right into her trap. If you apologise and crawl a bit all will probably be forgiven. Its hardly like you smacked her or did it in front of customers or colleagues at the end of the day its your word against hers. I suppose you could always try claiming she tried to seduce you and you rejected her advances which is why shes come up with this.

Without knowing the exact context of your business environment it is difficult to know where you stand. For example if swearing is commonplace then a tribunal would rule that someone dismissed for swearing was wrongfully dismissed.

However if foul and abusive language is used by an employee against his boss, particularly in circumstances where an employee is refusing to carry out a reasonable order, this has been held to justify instant dismissal. There has been one case, however, where an Employment Tribunal held that where an employee used abusive language in a sudden explosion of temper and under the influence of drink, it was unfair to dismiss that employee without first giving him the opportunity to apologise.

So I suppose it is really down to you. If you want to deny the event ever occured you will be purgering yourself if you go to a tribunal. Perhaps you should apologise to the boss and claim it as a fit of temper. It would certainly do no harm for a bit of contrition before the hearing. In the circumstances I would expect a written warning to be entered on your record and you be allowed back to work after your suspension.

apologising just admits culpability..you dont need to apoligise, you were attacked first and retaliated. So while you admit swearing is 'out of character', you makes sure they know who / what provoked it.

Stick to this line and you might be OK.

Archived