Saracen MTB, replacing crank bearings

Read carefully, as i'm going to use detailed technical terms to describe the problem. :hihi:

You know the jobbie that holds them in, well it's different from on others bikes i've had before, you can't just get a big spanner or mole grips on it.

It's sort of like a square toothed cog, but with the teeth inside, if you get me.

Is there a bodge i can use to unscrew it, or do i absolutely need the special tool. ?

Read carefully, as i'm going to use detailed technical terms to describe the problem. :hihi:

You know the jobbie that holds them in, well it's different from on others bikes i've had before, you can't just get a big spanner or mole grips on it.

It's sort of like a square toothed cog, but with the teeth inside, if you get me.

Is there a bodge i can use to unscrew it, or do i absolutely need the special tool. ?

The shop would have explained that when purchased!Did you buy this second-hand?

You need the special tool and it's a sealed cartridge unit so you will need to replace the complete bottom bracket cartridge, you can't just replace the bearings like on the old fashioned cup and cone type.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html

Scroll down to "bottom bracket" - yours should be the middle picture going by the description?

That's the bugger. !

Looks like i'll have ti invest.

Thanks for the replies.

Beth&Josh on here should be able to sort that out easily enough. Once the chainset is off it's normally a 10 minute job.

It's not worth the risk of putting the chainset back on yourself anyway. If the left hand crank comes loose there is a good chance it'll never stay tight again and you'll be left with a bill for a new left hand crank.

they aren't that expensive tbh..

Bike parts eh?

I remember going into Halfords once to buy a set of front-wheel bearings and found that for 60p more I could buy a whole front wheel (including bearings).

:cool:

John X

Archived