Do You Barter In Shops??

Haggling in shops is a way of life in some other countries but not so over here.

Do you try and agree a price with the shop manager/owner or do you just pay the asking price every time.

I recently bought two expensive items of clothing and was tempted to give it a try but was not sure what the reaction would be.

So, have you done it and was it successful???

Bartering in shops is a way of life in some other countries but not so over here.

Do you try and barter a price with the shop manager/owner or do you just pay the asking price every time.

I recently bought two expensive items of clothing and was tempted to give it a try but was not sure what the reaction would be.

So, have you done it and was it successful???

I bought a £70 pair of trainers from JD`s for £40 as there was a couple of stitches missing on the tongue, made it known and haggled down. Manager said £50, I said £30..met in the middle.

Yes, and everywhere else! For any reason I can think of.

Examples: if something has a fault as per the post above, if they offer a discount to a group of people, e.g. students, and I don't qualify, I ask for the same discount (good in restaurants, hairdressers etc), if I'm buying more than one of something, if it's the last of their stock, if I'm buying something out of season.

Basically the price of something is what you'll pay for it. I view a price tag as on opening gambit ;)

Bought a new van last year and got 10% off the list price by emailing round about 10 dealers and then playing one off against the other. Do the same with holidays... I could go on....

I Don't buy much retail, except food and pharmacy stuff...stove and fridge etc; Being born a dealer makes it hard to buy retail...&....We have the most fantastic Sally Ann Thrift store maybe 3,000 sq ft. in our village

It's the biggest grossing Sally Ann in Ontario... used to be better in the old days they brought in from wealthy areas then. But its still good by most standards... all furniture etc we have is from Garage sales or contents sale.

I bought a £70 pair of trainers from JD`s for £40 as there was a couple of stitches missing on the tongue, made it known and haggled down. Manager said £50, I said £30..met in the middle.

Yes, I do this as well if goods have a fault with them. I have never been turned down yet , and have always got a discount.

For expensive items like hifi, cars and furniture etc I barter all the time, to me that's part of the challenge, and it's fun! You can get some real bargains if you're willing to swallow your pride, the reason why most Brits don't is becuase they don't want to be looked down on like a Pakistani.

No. The shops I use expect to be paid with money.

this post is the only one that highlights that the OP, together with not a few of the respondents so far, doesn't know what the word BARTER means. BARTER means exchanging goods and/or services for other goods and/or services. For example, a barber might give a gardener a free haircut for mowing their lawn, or somebody might want to buy an ice cream cornet with a chocolate bar. That's 'barter'.

when somebody wants to negotiate on price, the word is BARGAIN, not BARTER.

Archived