Do You Barter In Shops??

this post is the only one that highlights that the OP, together with not a few of the respondents so far, doesn't know what the word BARTER means. BARTER means exchanging goods and/or services for other goods and/or services. For example, a barber might give a gardener a free haircut for mowing their lawn, or somebody might want to buy an ice cream cornet with a chocolate bar. That's 'barter'.

when somebody wants to negotiate on price, the word is BARGAIN, not BARTER.

I think the OP meant "haggle" but the non-pedants amongst us were willing to go with the spirit of the post, rather than score a point.

We now all think you are very... clever ;)

Surely, words mean, what people mean them to mean?

No, words mean what they mean. Do You trump In Shops?? wouldn't mean Do You Bargain In Shops?? would it?

Anyway, I find that you should be able to get a minimum of 15% anywhere that you can speak to somebody with authority, right up to 50% for seriously expensive luxury goods at the end of the month when sales people have targets to hit.

Retail mark up rule of thumbs is 300% so you'll not be doing them out of shoes for the children but shhh don't tell everybody.

Dont know if you people know this but currys can give 10% if you ask from the sales man nicely, also dell is to get 8% or stuff thrown in if you try,

I had a temporary xmas job at Dixons once, early 2000s they wouldn't let me on the tills as I gave everyone the 10% discount when they did. :D:hihi:

Always haggle on essentials too.

Cheaper rent, cheaper water, cheaper leccy gas phone etc.

Lot of mad people in the UK though, prepared to spend 10s sometimes 100s of 1000s on a house. What with the housing benefit and state guaranteed rental yield subsidy.

No, words mean what they mean.

No, words are given meaning, by what people intend them to mean. If for example, people started to use an existing word with a different meaning to it's current meaning; in time, it's meaning changes.

Language is an organic, changing, evolving, function of human beings; it's not fixed.

No, words are given meaning, by what people intend them to mean. If for example, people started to use an existing word with a different meaning to it's current meaning; in time, it's meaning changes.

Language is an organic, changing, evolving, function of human beings; it's not fixed.

Language is probably the best evidence for evolution.

Archived