Do You Barter In Shops??

moved house last year and phoned sky up for moving the dish, they told me it was £60, i said no, i could get cable tv HD installed for free as i only had sky+. man on phone went away and offered me HD box with no HD subscription, new dish, install and no phone line for £54, so yes it pays to haggle as if not, that package would have cost me £150+

Bartering in shops is a way of life in some other countries but not so over here.

Do you try and barter a price with the shop manager/owner or do you just pay the asking price every time.

I recently bought two expensive items of clothing and was tempted to give it a try but was not sure what the reaction would be.

So, have you done it and was it successful???

It is my golden rule never to pay the asking price, whether it be the local shop or one of my major suppliers. This has been key to my success in business. Remember. 'If you buy well, you can sell well'!;)

Do you all find negotiating works better in some places than others? Shopping at car boot sale, is a good place to negotiate on price. Shopping on amazon.co.uk, not so good?

Or, just do it everywhere?

What works best? Any tips for successful negotiating?

It is my golden rule never to pay the asking price, whether it be the local shop or one of my major suppliers. This has been key to my success in business. Remember. 'If you buy well, you can sell well'!;)

Get a job mate.

Back to O.P You dont ask, you dont get. Least they say is No.

Do you all find negotiating works better in some places than others? Shopping at car boot sale, is a good place to negotiate on price. Shopping on amazon.co.uk, not so good?

Or, just do it everywhere?

What works best? Any tips for successful negotiating?

Do it everywhere, you are in control they need your money more than you need their product unless they are the sole supplier in the World :hihi:

The best tip I can give you is 'Persistence breaks down resistance'.;)

For expensive items like hifi, cars and furniture etc I barter all the time, to me that's part of the challenge, and it's fun! You can get some real bargains if you're willing to swallow your pride, the reason why most Brits don't is becuase they don't want to be looked down on like a Pakistani.

Here we go again.:rolleyes:

Archived