All dogs to have £35 microchip

Every new pet dog will be microchipped under sweeping Government regulations to combat dangerous animals.

Each puppy born and dog sold will have an electronic chip implanted under the skin. Details will then be placed on a national database accessible by police and the RSPCA.

A confidential Whitehall document obtained by The Mail on Sunday says: ‘The compulsory microchipping of dogs on change of ownership would affect anyone breeding dogs for sale or gifting to another person or persons.

This would apply to anyone breeding dogs, whether they are a breeder or a private person whose bitch has a litter, whether planned or not.’

But the proposals last night prompted criticism from MPs and animal experts. They claim that the moves will unfairly penalise the law-abiding owners of Britain’s eight million dogs and will do nothing to tackle the problems posed by dangerous breeds such as pitbulls and Japanese tosas.

Until now, Ministers have been reluctant to introduce compulsory microchipping or licensing amid fears of a backlash from dog owners. The Dogs Trust estimates that around 800,000 puppies are born each year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1380039/Every-new-pet-dog-35-microchip-Plan-control-dangerous-animals-putting-million-pets-massive-database.html#ixzz1KSOlEMhP

Once caught a dog that was a stray saw it was mirco chipped thoight it would be easy to find it's owner rang a vet. Was told it would cost ME £15 to have it read. No chance of getting it back. BYE Bye doggy

won't the £35 cost factor put people off from getting a dog as a pet?

If having to pay £35 is going to put people off having a pet, then perhaps that's a good thing. - The annual cost of keeping an animal (food and vet bills, kenelling if you go away) is a lot more than £35.

The chip itself costs about £25. A tenner to have it implanted doesn't sound too unreasonable.

won't the £35 cost factor put people off from getting a dog as a pet?

If it does then they shouldn't have a dog. If you can't afford the £35 then you probably can't afford to look after the dog. What about the cost of food, insurance, leads, toys, etc?

I think is a good idea, there are far too many bad dog owners about.

How will it be enforced ……………… another none starter.

I think so too, the people that are responsible now will comply, the back yard breeders that are already irresponsible will continue to be...why should they comply, when things get to hot to handle they just get rid then get another when things settle down.

Also I wonder where they pluck the £35 microchipping fee from, it doesn't usually cost anything like that.

Archived