What item was made at your works--

When I first started work at the English Steel Corporation many of the employees used to tell of the time when for whatever reason there was only one "Drop Hammer" that was able to stamp out crankshafts for the Rolls Royce Merlin engine that went into the Spitfire. If it had been destryed by bombing it would have serious consequences for the war effort,-- What did your company make that you were proud to be associated with???

Centaur Cast Alloys on the Parkway. Artificial hip joints and DC10 engine parts. I was responsible for dimensional inspection of the parts and DC 10 engines started failing round about the time I was working there in the mid to late 70s!

Worked at Birley House Foxhill mid 60's

It was the research facility of Daniel Doncasters. The machine shop was located in a stable building. In the cellars of the old house were testing machines to pull and push bits of metal to bits. A greenhouse was the home for radiac and saws for cutting up metal for testing and in a garage was cast turbine blades for Rolls Royce RB 211 engines. To a passer by it looked like a stately country house with stables, greenhouse and a garage, but hid a hive of activity and groundbreaking research.

Archived