48 button lane in 1861

roughy101

I'm sorry this has nothing to do with the old history of Button Lane but just after the 2nd. World War , Button Lane used to fascinate me. First of all it was very Dickensian , even in 1950 . I'm sure I remember one of those gaslamps that stuck out of the wall , rather than being on a post .

Later in life , about 1958 , there was definitely a Somalese cafe on there , open much later than most English cafes at that time and we used to call in there on our way home from wherever .

But the main thing I remember about Button Lane was its shape ------a crooked lane that , more or less followed the Moor from Moorhead , down to Fitzwilliam Street -------or in today's terms from the bottom of Cambridge Street to where the Salvation Army building is now . ----------As I said , on a foggy night , walking down Button Lane was a Dickensian experience !!

Archived