Signing on after voluntary redundancy ?

I took volunary redundancy in 2006 got a final payment of £2600 and the DWP were trying to tell me that i couldnt claim due to the fact i had that money in the bank, which was a load of crap, but you can't educate pork, so i went to CAB and they help sort it for me in the end.

I took volunary redundancy in 2006 got a final payment of £2600 and the DWP were trying to tell me that i couldnt claim due to the fact i had that money in the bank, which was a load of crap, but you can't educate pork, so i went to CAB and they help sort it for me in the end.

Exactly the point I was making !!

Your wife will qualify for Contribution based JSA from the date after she finishes work. It is irrelevant that she took voluntary redundancy as DWP take the view that is she didnt go, someone else would have had to lose their job, so she will get payments from day one. It is also irrelevant how much you earn, what savings you have and how much redundancy payment she got when claiming contribution based JSA. She will only be able to claim it for 6 months though if she even needs to be claiming for that long.

JSA Contributors entitlement can be affected if the recipient is in receipt of an occupational pension. It is not affected by savings until 6 months have been claimed. Seek CAB advise as my experience of Jobcentre staff is they should take redundancy and save the country some money.

Your wife will qualify for Contribution based JSA from the date after she finishes work. It is irrelevant that she took voluntary redundancy as DWP take the view that is she didnt go, someone else would have had to lose their job, so she will get payments from day one. It is also irrelevant how much you earn, what savings you have and how much redundancy payment she got when claiming contribution based JSA. She will only be able to claim it for 6 months though if she even needs to be claiming for that long.

Above is correct as of Feb this year which is when my JSA (contribution based) finished. I was made redundo and was never asked how much I got, what I already had in the bank and what my hubby earns. They basically said that because I'd been employed for two years or more and had paid NI contributions then I was entitled to contributions based therefore money already owned doesn't come into it. It is what it is - she's paid in so they will pay her out!

Agree with a lot of the above posts, she should be able to get contribution based JSA and I think you can continue to get it for 6 months. The payoff she got won't affect it either, she should start receiving payments after a couple of weeks.

I had a face to face interview with a DWP advisor who very friendly and helpful and guided me through the sysytem. Everything she told me was correct including the "unofficial" advice.

I cannot comment on this case as my situation was different. My advice is apply (they may suggest something you never thought of or heard of) see what they have to say and then if you are not happy, see Citizens Advice or an Independant Advice Centre (they don't all belong to the CAB but are just as good).

JSA Contributors entitlement can be affected if the recipient is in receipt of an occupational pension. It is not affected by savings until 6 months have been claimed. Seek CAB advise as my experience of Jobcentre staff is they should take redundancy and save the country some money.

Best post this year !!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Archived