Eccelsfield property history.. anyone help?

:help: I am wanting to find out the history of Hartwell care home on 117 Jumble Lane, I have found out it was called either Butterthwaite House or Butterthwaite Lodge however i can not find any further info about it? we are trying to find out as much info as possible.... can anyone help please?

:help: I am wanting to find out the history of Hartwell care home on 117 Jumble Lane, I have found out it was called either Butterthwaite House or Butterthwaite Lodge however i can not find any further info about it? we are trying to find out as much info as possible.... can anyone help please?

How sure are you sure that Hartwell care home was called Butterthwaite House/Lodge ?

I have it as being called Raincliffe in 1905, the name changed to Hartwell House

sometime between 1957 and 1965.

To confirm the location (Hartwell care home) here is a link to Flash Earth

If it was once called Raincliffe then it fits in with the information I was given that it was once owned by Newton Chambers. I did find this quote from 1933 Colliery Year Book and Coal Trades Directory.

"Drew, W. Newton, A.R.S.M., M.I.Chem.E., J.P. Chairman and Managing Director of Newton, Chambers & Co. Ltd. Born in 1870, in India, was educated at Harrow and Royal School of Mines, and obtained his training with Newton Chambers & Co. Ltd. He is also Chairman and Managing Director of Thorncliffe Coal Distillation Ltd. ; Director, National Benzole Co. Ltd., Wombwell Coke & Bye-products Co. Ltd., Wombwell Main Co. Ltd. Address: Raincliffe, Ecclesfield, nr. Sheffield."

tmaz0.

You added too many http's in your link to the 1890 - 1891 map,

this one works www.francisfrith.com/rainstorth/maps

To the best of my knowledge,

'Raincliffe' house is non existent on the 1890/91 map, so was built at a later date.

m&p :)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I am the current owner of Butterthwaite House which is just down the road from Hartwell House (sharing the same postcode) and is located on a corner plot formed by Loicher Kane and Jumble Lane. Butterthwaite House is now used as offices and is known locally as "The Red House" Butterthwaite Lodge is immediately next door which as I understand it was built on the site of the old stables by the previous owners and sold off separately. I was told that Hartwell House was built for the owners of Newton Chambers and that Butterthwaite House was built for the Works Manager. However, today I was told by someone whose father used to work for Newton Chambers that it was built for one of the Directors, Sir Harold West. He was a bit unsure of his facts and I have no idea whether this correct. However, googling his name brought me to this thread! If you have a pressing personal interest in finding out I will get hold of the deeds to confirm although having said that this information should be available at Sheffield Local History library on Surrey Street. Hope that helps.