Drinking in rotherham in the 70s

I used to meet some mates in the Cross Keys once a week, the wife and I used to drink with her mate and her husband in a pub on Broom Lane (The Highcliffe or something similar), we also used The Clifton Arms. I worked on Wellgate in the 80's and went in the Masons Arms at lunch times.

I used to meet some mates in the Cross Keys once a week, the wife and I used to drink with her mate and her husband in a pub on Broom Lane (The Highcliffe or something similar), we also used The Clifton Arms. I worked on Wellgate in the 80's and went in the Masons Arms at lunch times.

the highcliffe never heard of that sure it wasn't new broom wat you work as on wellgate

The Homestead is still there on the corner of Broom Lane and Broom Road. There was also an hotel/pub on Broom Lane called the Limes. That's now been turned into flats.

the homestead remember that we used to go to a massive leisure centre in the 70s. rotherham should have been proud of that is it still their. then over to the homestead for a pint and a sandwich

Edited by cleanup

The Homestead is still there on the corner of Broom Lane and Broom Road. There was also an hotel/pub on Broom Lane called the Limes. That's now been turned into flats.

That's it, The Holmestead, it was 30 odd years ago, we also used to go to a pub in Whiston called the Golden Ball.

The Leisure Centre is no longer there, it was knocked down a couple of years ago and a new swimming pool built near to Parkgate Retail World. I spent many happy hours playing badminton and five a side football in there. The pool was really popular when first built because it had a wave machine (though my memory is that it did break down quite a bit).

The Golden Ball is one of three pubs in Whiston, the others being the Sitwell and Chequers. When I used to drink there in the eighties and early nineties they all served Tetleys' which then was a good pint if kept well. They were all very busy pubs in those days and the Sitwell and Ball used to have good tap rooms.

The reservoir you're thinking of is Ulley. The Royal Oak there used to be a good pub too in those days. The beer was Sam Smiths though so you either loved it or hated it! A cheap pint though.

is the new leisure centre as big as the old one r is it like ours women only two days a week between 2 and 6. sorry sam smiths hated it started off on stones great pint until moved from sheff to burton on trent. why fix something when it not broken, worthington now good pint down here, parkgate got its own shopping centre did they knock the steel workes down