Drinking in rotherham in the 70s

I used to go to every place mentioned on this thread, but am struggling to remember much about Cresta's. I remember the name but not where it was.

Wellgate in particular was a buzzing place for many years. Start at the Clifton, Masons arms, Albion Rd Club, Hare and Hounds, Mailcoach, Clever and then into town. I've just realised I must have been a heavy drinker.....

Crestas was a small night club, walk up the hill from the turf, end of that block, 2nd floor and overlooking the edge of All saints square.

It was not unusal to do several night clubs in one evening, Crestas, Adam and eve, Tiffs and the Windmill.

It seems to me, there is little need for night clubs now a days, longer opening hours sees most of Rotherhams bars open well in to the early hours.

No one has mentioned the Kimmy pub crawl..Colin cambell, green Dragon, Travellers, Manor barn (new) , Wilton, Woodman (gone),New Inn, Midland, anon lower down on the corner (gone), Prince of Wales,Swan. Millmoor, and the one near Tiffs before the Travellers opp Tiffs (gone).

There was..

Meadowbank rd... Meadowbank hotel (gone) George (gone) Miners(gone) Turner Arms (gone)

Thorpe hesley in the 70s was mental, Masons, New inn(gone) Red Lion, Horse and Tiger, Blacksmiths (gone), Ball Inn. And Travellers.

Edited by TAT

Crestas was a small night club, walk up the hill from the turf, end of that block, 2nd floor and overlooking the edge of All saints square.

It was not unusal to do several night clubs in one evening, Crestas, Adam and eve, Tiffs and the Windmill.

It seems to me, there is little need for night clubs now a days, longer opening hours sees most of Rotherhams bars open well in to the early hours.

No one has mentioned the Kimmy pub crawl..Colin cambell, green Dragon, Travellers, Manor barn (new) , Wilton, Woodman (gone),New Inn, Midland, anon lower down on the corner (gone), Prince of Wales,Swan. Millmoor, and the one near Tiffs before the Travellers opp Tiffs (gone).

There was..

Meadowbank rd... Meadowbank hotel (gone) George (gone) Miners(gone) Turner Arms (gone)

Thorpe hesley in the 70s was mental, Masons, New inn(gone) Red Lion, Horse and Tiger, Blacksmiths (gone), Ball Inn. And Travellers.

I remember it now, once got chased out of there for something or other.

I witnessed a nasty incident one dinner time in the Hare and Hounds Wellgate,a bunch of us would nip in for a sandwich and a few jars after work.One of the crazes in the 70s was table football,some of the best players I,ve seen played in the Hare and Hounds,you had to wait ages to get on for a go you put your bob on the side and waited till someone lost.This certain day three mates from one of the local steelworks were sat on the back,a young lad and two older blokes,the youngster was constantly taking the urine out of one of the older ones who was getting more nasty as he drank more.Eventualy the young un got on the table still jibing at his mate showing him up,suddenly the older one heaved a heavy glass ashtray across the room at the youngster.It hit the football table and smashed in bits one jagged piece sticking in the youngsters wrist,he pulled it out and blood gushed everywhere the table was slottened in it I,ve never seen blood gush as fast,he had cut an artery.One of our lads was a first aider he grabbed him tied a hanky round his arm pushed a biro through and turned it making a tornequet,the bleeding stopped and an ambulance was called which turned up with a policeman.He said although the pub is packed I dont suppose anyone saw anything,he was right nobody said owt even the youngster.He made a full recovery and they were all back in the pub together a couple of weeks later!!.:huh::confused:

Edited by old tup

I witnessed a nasty incident one dinner time in the Hare and Hounds Wellgate,a bunch of us would nip in for a sandwhich and a few jars after work.One of the crazes in the 70s was table football,some of the best players I,ve seen played in the Hare and Hounds,you had to wait ages to get on for a go you put your bob on the side and waited till someone lost.This certain day three mates from one of the local steelworks were sat on the back,a young lad and two older blokes,the youngster was constantly taking the urine out of one of the older ones who was getting more nasty as he drank more.Eventualy the young un got on the table still jibing at his mate showing him up,suddenly the older one heaved a heavy glass ashtray across the room at the youngster.It hit the football table and smashed in bits one jagged piece sticking in the youngsters wrist,he pulled it out and blood gushed everywhere the table was slottened in it I,ve never seen blood gush as fast,he had cut an artery.One of our lads was a first aider he grabbed him tied a hanky round his arm pushed a biro through and turned it making a tornequet,the bleeding stopped and an ambulance was called which turned up with a policeman.He said although the pub is packed I dont suppose anyone saw anything,he was right nobody said owt even the youngster.He made a full recovery and they were all back in the pub together a couple of weeks later!!.:huh::confused:

From this and a few other posts I reckon I must know you old tup.

My first pint in the Hares would have been as a 16 year old in 1977. From 84 ish the Hares became my local, until at least 97. Whenever I get back to Rotherham I always try and visit the Masons/Hares and coach. I saw blood in the Hares on more than one occasion. It went from being known as 'the lesbian bus drivers' pub to a must be part of the town circuit.

Micky or Jimmy Wilson ? Jimmy was a popular scotish bouncer in Rotherham,

Jimmy is in Bradgate club every dinner playing snooker :hihi: Micky runs a security business THEY ARE NOT RELATED !all the Wilsons worked at shipmates !

Edited by pigeon

Just remembered another dodgy incident in the Hare and Hounds in the 70s,it was a freezing winters day I had had a long day on my breadround ice and snowdrifts everywhere making me late finishing.I just had time for a quick pint on this certain Sat dinner,half an hour before closing,I grabbed my pint and headed for the small back room were a fire was always there to warm your arse end.I stood on the fireplace had a sip of beer then I noticed although the room was packed solid it was compleately silent.Next thing this scruffy looking nerk jumped on a table swinging his belt round his head,he then leaped at the bloke opposite swiping him in the face,at this the room erupted it was like one of those bar room brawls you see on cowboy movies.Chairs smashed over backs bottles over heads,tables turned over it was a madhouse,I tried to get out got knocked flying by two combatants I pushed em out of my way and headed for the door.Unfortunately there was an unconscious body laying sideways across it,after dragging him away I escaped the mayhem.Bloody hell I just popped in for a quick pint I only took the top off it and was cast into a nightmare,it turned out to be a feud between two families that had been going on ages,happy days or what??.:help::confused::huh:

Edited by old tup
spelling

• 4 weeks later...