Shared house for professionals? Madness!

Shared houses for professionals.

How bad does your profession have to be to make you live in a shared house.

The world has gone mad.

I'm not sure how this is an issue. Like minded people want to live with their kind; they want professionals and not people partying all night.

The only way to change the system is to get rid of a huge swathe of the population here in the UK!

I'm not sure how this is an issue. Like minded people want to live with their kind; they want professionals and not people partying all night.

The only way to change the system is to get rid of a huge swathe of the population here in the UK!

You don't have to get rid of anyone.

You just provide the housing.

We have an immigration policy; Population expansion.

The amount of housing must increase to stop population expansion having an adverse effect upon the current standard of living.

And professionals need not rent of somebody who does no productive work.

The worker can buy the house. There is no need for the middleman.

The amount of housing must increase to stop population expansion having an adverse effect upon the current standard of living.

Oh, if we lived in an ideal world... We don't and housing is getting stupidly expensive in the UK. Renting is just getting beyond a joke and there appears to be ridiculous!

ooh i wondered in your recent rants when immigration would rear its ugly head :P

you seem to have an obsession about landlords all being spongers??

put me right if im mistaken but what do landlords do? they earn or get lots of money,m they buy a house or 3, they do them up in most cases, again spending a lot of their own money, they rent them out to PEOPLE WHO WANT TO LIVE THERE, when repairs need doing, again MOST landlords pay out their own money to fix it.

then theres all the changes in legislation etc that they need to keep track of and the taxes etc etc

but no they just get money for nothing (to paraphrase the old song)

ooh i wondered in your recent rants when immigration would rear its ugly head :P

you seem to have an obsession about landlords all being spongers??

put me right if im mistaken but what do landlords do? they earn or get lots of money,m they buy a house or 3, they do them up in most cases, again spending a lot of their own money, they rent them out to PEOPLE WHO WANT TO LIVE THERE, when repairs need doing, again MOST landlords pay out their own money to fix it.

then theres all the changes in legislation etc that they need to keep track of and the taxes etc etc

but no they just get money for nothing (to paraphrase the old song)

Your wasting your time trying to reason with him, I tried to explain the above to him in his last Landlords are all spongers thread but it seems he is not interested in the reality of being a Landlord. He has this mythical idea that we all have Satans Horns and just coin in the money laughing hysterically at how we are ripping people off!!

Your wasting your time trying to reason with him, I tried to explain the above to him in his last Landlords are all spongers thread but it seems he is not interested in the reality of being a Landlord. He has this mythical idea that we all have Satans Horns and just coin in the money laughing hysterically at how we are ripping people off!!

yeah like certain other topics on here, its like headbutting a wall

I have to re-iterate my agreement with chemist on this one, buy to let landlords have disenfranchised a lot of people who could/should actually own their own home or rent at a reasonable rate. I can't believe these people think that cramming people into crap rented accommodation is a fair and reasonable way of dealing with the lack of housing stock investment going back decades. This effect is the cause of years of artificially hiking up the house prices partly for the benefit of dishonest governments conning home-owners into treating homes as profit making ventures whilst serving to facilitate the greatest con in history resulting in our current austerity.

I think something should be done too.

My generation usually lived in the family home until we married. Then most ordinary folk either stayed on with family, rented a room or a very small flat, and waited for a council house. Usually only managers and professional people were buying houses in the 60s. We bought our first home in the mid 70s, mainly because we couldn't get social housing and it was our only alternative to staying in poor quality housing. We needed to save a deposit, and building societies didn't lend easily then either, but we did it.

My children went out into the world of work at the beginning of the 90s. My daughter lived in nurses' accommodation whilst she trained, then shared houses in London, Edinburgh, Leeds etc. She finally got a council flat in Wakefield which she later gave up to work abroad. When she came home to the UK she first bought a flat, then moved on to buy her own house. By then she was in her 30s.

My son couldn't find work when he left university, so he moved back home and took any job. He then went back to uni to do a further degree, after which he got a professional job in Cheshire. He started with nothing, but shared rented houses with colleagues. No way could he have afforded to buy anything when he first started work. 8 years ago, also in his 30s, he bought a pretty decent house with his partner in an area where the prices are similar to S10.

I'm using my children as an illustration of what many young professionals do. They don't expect to get a whole flat or house, they'd rather share in a reasonable area, and buy eventually. I don't understand why the OP considers it strange?

Archived