Shared house for professionals? Madness!

There was more affordable housing in Sheffield until not long ago, I used to live in a big 2 bedroom flat in one of the tower blocks on Norfolk Park, there was nothing wrong with it and it was realy cheap (to rent) but it got demolished because aparantly "people don't want to live in towerblocks anymore", but what are being built now all over the city, tower blocks.

If the council had tarted-up the block (like they did to the ones near the university) they would have had no trouble filling it, or even selling them.

I'm using my children as an illustration of what many young professionals do. They don't expect to get a whole flat or house, they'd rather share in a reasonable area, and buy eventually. I don't understand why the OP considers it strange?

I think again, it's the case in London and not really the rest of the UK, but I see an increasing number of people I work with who are finding it incredibly frustrating being in their mid-late thirties, single and not having any hope on the horizon of even renting their own property and having their own space let alone being able to buy.

I think again, it's the case in London and not really the rest of the UK, but I see an increasing number of people I work with who are finding it incredibly frustrating being in their mid-late thirties, single and not having any hope on the horizon of even renting their own property and having their own space let alone being able to buy.

Things are different in London and the South East, where buying and even renting is out of reach of a lot of people. Many more professional people in London still live in social housing than in most other parts of the UK. I met some social housing tenants from Kensington & Chelsea a few years ago, and most had disposable incomes that would have bought them a decent property in most other places. Just not in West London. :( And for someone who is earning the lower level of rent is a big attraction so they are unlikely to move out. I've thought for a long time that governments ought to encourage more businesses and public sector organisations to move out of London.

In answer to Bulgarian, I worked for SCC for a few years from 2000 and there were many council properties standing empty. Single people were getting keys to family homes that had been vacant for lengthy periods just to get some rent in. Also, the fabric of some flats and houses didn't make it viable to spend loads of money 'tarting them up' as they were no longer sustainable. Hence the decision, which was right given the circumstances at the time, to demolish some properties. Who knew 10 years ago that people would be queuing up again to rent council properties.

House prices in England are (IMO) unrealistic.

In part, perhaps, because people seem to think that prices must rise every year and in part because England (not the UK) is the most densely-populated country in Europe.

Too many people on too little land chasing too few houses offered for sale by people with unrealistic views of house prices.

In part, perhaps, because people seem to think that prices must rise every year and in part because England (not the UK) is the most densely-populated country in Europe.

Too many people on too little land chasing too few houses offered for sale by people with unrealistic views of house prices.

Interesting article from The Economist on UK house prices here:

http://www.economist.com/node/18587157?story_id=18587157

Not sure if you can see it without logging in, but the jist is that further falls in house prices are likely. Maybe around 20% if I've read it right.

It's more about a place to live. And what that place is.

A century ago I could have gone out and murdered men to take from them land for myself. I'd struggle to do that today. I'm constrained by the state.

So minimum quality housing and cheap rent is something that should be ensured by the state.

If you don't like paying rent, why not squat? Or even consider working and getting a mortgage... Plenty of terraces and flats for sale, and the prices in Sheffield are not horrific as long as you are on about £20K, which many jobs round here pay these days... I used to be a 'professional' in a shared house, and it was great! I'd just left uni and lived with others in the same boat... Not like animals, but like young people who did not yet want to live alone... I think that you misunderstand a lot about the world, yet don't get the impression that you are especially young? Perhaps you need to move back in with your parents, until you feel better equiped to face the world of paying your own way, and living within your means?

People should not live like animals.

The British are being farmed for rent.

Excuse me.

How dare you compare me to an animal?

I could just about afford my own place, if I wanted to. I would much rather rent a room in a shared house because:

1) It's cheaper;

2) When I came to London I knew very few people. Now, as well as my own friends, I have 2xhousemates' networks of friends;

3) It is nice to have a bit of company in an evening.

How dare you compare me to an animal?

Whats wrong with professionals sharing?

I did after I was newly qualified.

Made financial sense, and I loved the company and the vibe (occasionally shagged one of my housemates too, in a Miles and Anna love conundrum kind of thing!).

In fact, I've never lived alone - I'd hate it.

I'm confused as to what you mean by 'unrealistic' house prices. Do you mean you think that house prices in England are too low, or too high?

Given, the content of your post, I presume that you are saying they are too low?

Archived